Fiery Ginger Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too sure it's fermenting the tsp of caster sugar, there is a sediment on the bottom of the bottles, but there is no bubbles or other visual indicator that anything is going on. The cider was quite apparent that it was bottle conditioning.

Hello all, this was the recipe that gave me the push to buy the required equipment and give home brewing a go! What a great recipe and I'm really pleased with my first ever attempt; so much so that I've almost finished drinking it all!

I learned so much from the forum and the process of brewing, thanks for your contributions! My take aways from the experience are:

+ Double check ingredients

+ Have a little patience :)

+ Don't underestimate the importance of conditioning

Fermented out to 7%, wishing i'd used the stated 1kg instead of 1lb (oops) of ginger and had taken advice of others and added a little glycerin. Also needed to show a little reserve by waiting a good few weeks before opening, still it continues to improve and I still have a few bottles left ;)

All in all though a real success with no hangovers, bad tummy or wasted beer! Hope the chardonnay kit i'm currently brewing is as successful :D

yes bottled it but for some reason i didnt get it to carbonate still tasted amazing tho

and the best bit the wife and daughter dont like it so its safe

That's interesting, my ginger beer last year carbed brilliantly but my raspberryade etc made from the random polish juices failed miserably. I've got 1 gallon of GB almost ready to bottle using pretty much the original recipe with the addition of some frozen ginger (Asian frozen section @tesco, great value) and a little chili (I like it hot).

I'm hoping for something so fizzy it stings the tongue a little... I've also put it 5ml glycerine this time because while tasty last year it was a bit thin.

As an aside I picked up a bottle of ginger compound from my lbhs, has anyone used that on this recipe? I was Todd it was usually used for wine but I reckon it might add a bit of a punch..

Cheers,
Mike.

That's interesting, my ginger beer last year carbed brilliantly but my raspberryade etc made from the random polish juices failed miserably. I've got 1 gallon of GB almost ready to bottle using pretty much the original recipe with the addition of some frozen ginger (Asian frozen section @tesco, great value) and a little chili (I like it hot).

I'm hoping for something so fizzy it stings the tongue a little... I've also put it 5ml glycerine this time because while tasty last year it was a bit thin.

As an aside I picked up a bottle of ginger compound from my lbhs, has anyone used that on this recipe? I was Todd it was usually used for wine but I reckon it might add a bit of a punch..

Cheers,
Mike.
Ooh chilli, phew that'll be warm!
How much sugar did you add to your bottles to carbonate please?

I used 1L bottles and 10g (2xtsp) per bottle... (it's my usual, 1xtsp per 500ml)

I've tasted and it's still a little thin even with the glycerine so i added a glug or so of Riddles Extra Hot Ginger Compound but i didn't like the colour it gave it so i'll avoid doing that in future i think...

Going to give it a week or so in the warm to carb the chill the hell out of it... see how the final taste is *fingers crossed*

oh and i hope it's warm, intend to try it in a Moscow Mule as someone else suggested...

I used 1tsp of caster per 500ml, being my first brew, being very curious I was sampling a bottle each day. Carbonation started after the third or fourth day for me, two weeks in and it was still going strong as I emptied my glass. hth.

Mine has carved up perfectly judging by the firmness of the bottles, moved them to the cold a couple of days ago to clear some more...

Might not be able to resist having a taste tonight...

I knew a guy who added a chilli (not sure what sort), to make his fiery ginger beer, even more fiery.

in fact, Irn Bru did this for a while to produce "fiery Irn Bru", not sure it took off or even if it was available outside glasgow!

If you like your GB extra fiery then this is a good plan, though be careful what chilli you select!

A few years ago Royal Club did something similar in Holland. They mixed big red chili's with mango juice. I used red birdseye chili's to the same effect. Carefull though these are quite hot. :evil::evil:

Latest posts

Back