CAMRA post

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
ahhh my favourite moment of the month is coming home to find the postman has slapped my monthly issue of What's Brewing on my mat.

this month however, the Beer newspaper usually tucked inside what's brewing has become a fully featured magazine! the first issue!

now THIS is a decent sized good bit of reading for my annual membership buck :D

well chuffed :party:

I was that impressed i wrote in to the "Your Shout" Section :D

try Waitrose. Last time i went they had about 100 different types to choose from, including Hook Norton's Double Stout.... yummy :D

My local ASDA has started having beers from 2 local micros :clap:

bloody hell! that's really cool..

i've got ASDA, Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Netto, and Morrisons all within a 2 mile radius from me.... i wonder what chances i stand :grin:

Thats a cool place. :cool: :cool: :cool:

They have a bigger selection of cider than New Zealand has of beer. :shock:

This place is just round the corner from me!

On a more serious note there are obviously some CAMRA members here and I was wondering if you'd be able to answer me a question please.

Joining CAMRA is £20 per year, wouldn't we all be better off spending that money in a (real ale) pub? That way it would directly benefit brewers and publicans. I'd be very interested to see exactly how much of that £20 directly benefits beer lovers, Just a thought.

I feel a blog post coming on

That £20 is actually quite well spent in CAMRA's pocket IMO.

The Beer Magazine is marked as £3.95, issued quarterly now, so that's £15.80 of that 20 quid gone already. and What's Brewing I'd imagine would retail for about a 50p to a £1 in a paper shop, monthly, so your already over the £20 membership, and then there's the cheaper or even non existent entry fees to festivals if your a CAMRA member.

If you enjoy reading beer related literature, and regularly attend at least one festival a year, it's a few basically paid for itself. can't imagine CAMRA are making much profit on it though.

as for their direct effect on ale, well, i dont know if this has anything to do with CAMRA, but ale sales are definitely on the up!

BrewStew said:
That £20 is actually quite well spent in CAMRA's pocket IMO.

The Beer Magazine is marked as £3.95, issued quarterly now, so that's £15.80 of that 20 quid gone already. and What's Brewing I'd imagine would retail for about a 50p to a £1 in a paper shop, monthly, so your already over the £20 membership, and then there's the cheaper or even non existent entry fees to festivals if your a CAMRA member.

So that's £20 spent preaching to the choir ;)

true, but the same is also true if your a keen fisherman and subscribe to Angler's Rest or another fishing magazine ;)

BrewStew said:
true, but the same is also true if your a keen fisherman and subscribe to Angler's Rest or another fishing magazine ;)

Is reading the paper "promoting the cause" or is going out there fishing and buying tackle doing more good? ;) Touché!

I find my Camra membership does make me go to the pubs more.
Each month 'What's Brewing' has a section on ale festivals in my local area, or if I'm organised enough, areas I'm going to on days out at the weekend.
It also has 'up to date' reviews of pubs of 'special interest' nationwide.
I find the paper an good source of inforation for what's going on it the 'trade'.

On another note Camra members and the organisation as a whole, fight tooth and nail to stop pub buildings being lost to developers, when their licensee's quit and quite often see the pub being worked again.
I agree with Brewstew that you're actually not paying a lot once the costs are taken out. There are also a lot of pubs out there who give a discount to Camra members.

Just a few reasons why I am a Camra member...just my opinion

Back