...help needed, please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

I've been visiting this forum for months now, reading about wine making, and started making my own brews thanks to all the members here, and the excellent thread about "WOW".

My father makes his own wines since many years, and those are delicious. However, last year I decided to start making my own brews, with my dad's help to some extent. The sad part about it is that out of 12 wines, made from scratch with real fruit, 2 only developed into drinkable wines. The rest died mostly of infections, etc.

Then, after I found this forum here, I restarted making wines, following Moleys brilliant guide for "WOW". I now have 4 standing around, waiting to be bottled, while 6 others of different variation are still fermenting happily in the pantry.

Still, I need help from you guys because something seems to be wrong with 2 out of the 4 waiting to be bottled.
Problem is - after fermention was over, I did everything in Moley's guide, racked, added stabiliser, and used bentonite as finings. 2 of those wines have each a balloon attached because I still lack sufficient amounts of airlocks, which are constantly in use for new wines. What happens is, that with those two wines the balloon is slightly inflated now, while the other two show no signs of activity at all.

I searched the internet for possible reasons, but to no avail. That is why I decided to finally register here, in the hope that someone might know what the reason could be. Like I wrote before, 3 of 4 are crystal clear but very dry, number 4 still needs to clear a bit more, but no problem with this one.

The two wines with this problem are a WOW, and a tea wine, made of twinning tea bags and mango juice. Both smell delicious, and have an absolut fantastic taste and aroma.

Please, I am very grateful if someone can help me out, and knows what is happening with those two. I'd like to bottle them together with the other one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

:hat:

Seven

Welcome to the forum!

It's probably just trapped gas in the wines escaping and is nothing to worry about.

Back