% of dme in a gallon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wezil

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi any one be able to tell me what %alc or the sg of dissolving a kilo of dme in a gallon of water (another leap off the edge of good sense) :cheers:

p.s don't do it , first you'll need lots of hops to balance it and will require a big starter or a couple of packets of yeast and to be honest will taste too strong , you need certain recipes and certain strains of yeast to get a nice drinkable very strong beer .

Hi thanks for the reply,if it's only going to get to 8% im going to need some extra fermentables/flavours. (Im going to try to make a wine/beer hybrid) So it needs to taste of malt (yummy)! Got a lot of ideas (most of them daft, but ain't that half the fun)!!

Hmm now thats a question, but i'll probably go with a champagne yeast (lavins) as iv'e got some in stock, and will make up a fairly big starter
Unless thoughts are that a beer yeast (got gervins ale yeast) might be better to start,(might ferment better with the malt) and then rack and add champagne yeast in secondary. (A can of worms has been opened I feel)!
Im doing a barley wine (not the beer type) at the mo with youngs wine yeast,should be about 17ish% and that looks like an ale ferment masses of head and froth not like a normal (to me) wine ferment with slight fizzing. So im expecting to use a blow off and a tray for the malt wine. When I get started i'll post how I get on (might be a while as iv'e got a lot on the go now) :cheers:

i can remeber its name but the world strongest beer (that does not use Fr**ze D***********) uses a few different yeast starting with an ale yeast and ending with a Sake yeast i think.

Food for thought

go for it by all means but i'll wager you won't do it twice (once you've sampled it ) I'm all for experimenting but there's a reason you can't get (mostly) beer that strong ,it'll be too strong to enjoy imo , have fun though .

I think the expense for a single gallon will put me off doing it twice! :lol:

Back