"Green" beer - What does it taste like?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just sampled a small bottle of my EKG Smash brew. It tasted fine, no infection :party: , but obviously not ready with only one week in the bottle.

It had a taste to it, cant describe it - can anyone give a good indication of what green beer actually tastes like? Or is it quite difficult? :D

The two I get could be described as "yeasty/chalky" and an "apple/tangy/sweet" kick.

It's still beer even for one so young, so imagine what it will taste like when it's all grown up.

I used to drink a bit of Carling, and still do from time to time if theres not much left at a party. It's not horrid or acrid or nasty tasting.... it just tastes like.... nothing :nah:

In my experience (30+ kits/tweaks, around 6 extracts and 2 AGs) I've yet to make a good beer that wasn't at least palatable immediately after primary fermentation - as in, not horrible or rancid in some way. My bad batches have been poor at all stages, with only minor improvements through ageing sometimes. The good stuff has always got better with age.

I'm pretty sure 'yeastiness' is not usually as much as an off taste as is sometimes thought. Try the yeast from the bottom of an FV - it's not that bad.

dennisking said:
Cyclops said:
crE said:
Did you mean c****ng?

Nothing wrog n with carling, a lot of effort is made to ensure the product is the same every time. And it is the no 1 selling lager in the UK

your becoming a company man Ian.

Sure am. Haha

However still not a lager fan much and when I go pub still stick to my ales. :)

I have definitely noticed a "green"/"young" taste from cheap swill largers (when I partake in them). Most noticable was Cruz Campo in Spain, tasted very green, that and Fosters. I expect these are rapid brewed and filtered to get them out the door in 2-3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back