Hello HBF!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be your problem - I have dry hopped many of my brews, but always with a muslin bag that I boil before putting the hops in it, and then it goes straight in. If you added a teabag of hops there is a chance the bag harboured infection? Or did you just put the pellets in loose? Whenever I open my fv to add stuff I starsan my hands and arms, spray all around the lid and inside my fermentation chamber. Probably a bit OTT but I've never (touch wood) had an infected brew (kiss of death right there!).

Pellets straight from a packet, sanitised the outside first. Might have been them, might have been a stray nasty when I took lid off. Been using the chlorine based sterliser but think I'm going to swap to star San now. I don't think u can be ott with sterilising.

Hey everyone, just joined after lurking round here for a while. Only been home brewing for a few months and around 4 brews in. any suggestions on which 'premium' kits are the best? After a recent disaster with Young's APA kit :cry: i want to try a couple more kits like festival or Bulldog. Any help would be gratefully received. Going to start using star san as well, hopefully i will avoid any more spoiled brews.

In the unlikely event darth clibit doesn't convert you to the dark side muntons oaked ale is a lovely cross between hobgoblin and Guinness but much better than either of them. however I didn't use the yeast that came with the kit and I brewed short to 21 litres :whistle:

Pellets straight from a packet, sanitised the outside first. Might have been them, might have been a stray nasty when I took lid off. Been using the chlorine based sterliser but think I'm going to swap to star San now. I don't think u can be ott with sterilising.

No need to sanitise hop pellets , only sanitise the bag.

Did you steralise the hop pellets?? (as in something you need to rinse off)

No didn't sanitise the hops themselves just the outside of the packet while sealed. May not have been them, it's just the only thing I did differently to normal. Muntons oaked ale? Is that from the craft series they released? Ha greetings darth, sadly yes a one bed flat without outside space would probably not work with all grain, can't even use the hob as I think mine may predate civilisation, it's definitely something I want to look at in the future but for the time being it's kit beer for me.

You don't really need space other than for a big pan. And you should test the hob, otherwise you are doomed to a life of making canned kits. Which doesn't bear thinking about, in my simplistic world of AG.

Latest posts

Back