Mobile homebrew setup- shipping container

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've need asked by s bloke what set up will be able to fit in a shipping container...don't laugh..I nearly did!!
Firstly I've asked if it going to mobile (lifting on a drops wagon etc) so the fitting have to be secured.
Is it going to insulated?
Where the leccy fittings going?
Water in/outlet?
What type of HLT, mash tun, boiler, FV etc and how big they are going to hold?
A lot of questions needed to answer as you know...but not wrong starting will we know
"I think hes aiming for the most realistic productivity that can be acheived in a standard 40 foot container. So dimensions would be, in feet 39'5"×7'8"×7'9"
I reckon with my pee brain..once the insulation and minor question like that
Would be fitting it out with good benches tables shelving etc..and then work out the rest!
Just like a planning a garden shed project but different!!
Thinking stainless steel fittings..wood be prone to damage..unless solid wood..but I'm not expert as you know.
If anyone has experience something like this or help for doing plans I'd/we be really appreciated it.
Once I get the questions answered I'll update you all.
A hell of planning TBH.
But could be viable..
Thx for viewing
Pm me for email n stuff if needed to send me links etc.

Oh how I wish I had the chance of converting a 40 foot long container into a Micro Brewery!

Sheer heaven!

For me, the fixed TIME (that I wouldn't change) would be the "two weeks fermenting, two weeks carbonating and two weeks conditioning" system I use so everything would revolve around the three stages and the brewing cycle would be as follows:

Week 1
o Start Brew One in FV One in Brew Fridge One

Week 2
o Start Brew Two in FV Two in Brew Fridge Two

Week 3
o Start Brew Three in FV Three in Brew Fridge Three
o Bottle and start Carbonation of Brew One in Fridge One

Week 4
o Start Brew Four in FV Four in Brew Fridge Four
o Bottle and start Carbonation of Brew Two in Fridge Two

Week 5
o Start Brew Five in FV One in Brew Fridge One
o Bottle and start Carbonation of Brew Three in Fridge Three
o Move Brew One to Conditioning

Week 6
o Start Brew Six in FV Two in Brew Fridge Two
o Bottle an start Carbonation of Brew Four in Fridge Four
o Move Brew Two to Conditioning

Week 7
o Start Brew Seven in FV Three in Brew Fridge Three
o Bottle and start carbonating Brew Five in Brew Fridge One
o Move Brew Three to Conditioning.
o Move Brew One to Sales

Week 8
o Start Brew Eight in FV Four in Brew Fridge Four
o Bottle and start carbonating Brew Six in Brew Fridge Two
o Move Brew Four to Conditioning.
o Move Brew Two to Sales

Etc etc.

So, by my reckoning, for 100 litres per week you will need to fit in the container:

o Water Heater (120 litres).

o Mash Tun (50 litres).

o Boiler (120 litres).

o FV x 4 (120 litres).

o Brew Fridges x 4 (120 litre capacity).

Plus other items such as a big sink, workbench, grain and accessory storage etc etc ...

... not to mention the storage for full bottles which at 500ml each will be accumulating at the rate of +/- 190 a week.

What a challenge! :thumb: :thumb:

It would need some serious insulation, containers in winter can get a lot of internal condensation if there is a hint of heat in them, it will also need some form of extraction for steam and ventilation if you went with gas for heating. Grain storage would also be an issue if there is excessive steam build up.

Might be fruitful to have a quick chat with The Maltmiller, (Neil or is it Rob, not finished my morning tea yet.. ooer ?) He ran his operation out of a collection of shipping containers in a 'rent a shipping container storage yard' in abingdon prior to shifting the operation to larger premises in Swindon Im sure he will have plenty of insight into the issues involved what with being an enthusiastic brewer as well as respected supplier.

Imho you could contain in a 40ft container a healthy grain store, 1 to 2 bbl brewery, and a cold side room to ferment in and keep a yeast table. But you may well need extra secure space to store casks or kegs and thier cleaning and filling stations. single use kegs n casks could reduce the need for extra space?

If the intention is to crush the barley and grains too then you will definately need a 2nd container to devote to that as the sugar rich dust created by the milling is the last thing you want getting near your cold side area or your humid brewery either..

Without any experience of this I would
* decide how much I intended to regularly brew and store, both raw materials and finished product
* make a list of all the kit I needed to do above
* decide on whether some activities needed segregating like Fil has suggested
* then make a plan of where it is all going to go into your container with access for operation and any maintenance that you need plus a contingency for expansion if you think that's necessary
* when you are happy with the outcome work out how much it's all going to cost and decide if that's what you want to spend
* then if you are comfortable with all of that you are on your way

Omg!! What a response so far!!
I've look on every remark and coz I'm slow I'll answer the accordingly!
I've got my pal to look at the thread and he'll be able to get the answers quicker than me from the boss.
Thx so much taking the time to help, really appreciated it.
Answers as I said TBC
Thx

Latest posts

Back