Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Shocking behaviour

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 21-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #31
Fil

Liked 867 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Sounds like your spill and miosture ingress was the root of your problem then,(lights going out is a clue hehe) a RCD as suggested above and perhaps a temporary gaffer tape skirt over the controls just in case should see you right for future brews and spills.. IMHO flushing out any contaminates from the switch and dial with wd40 is worthwhile and I would double check continuity between the metal pot and the earth pin on your plug still. That done i would be comfortable brewing with it again..

Old 21-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #32
Dexter101

Liked 82 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Well this is sad to read, I have a brand new Ace Boiler ready and waiting for me on Christmas day...

Is there anything I should be doing to protect myself? Assuming it is generally ok to use them?!

Wines
Forum Rose- primary fermenting- 30th August 2017
Matcha Green Tea- primary fermenting- 1st September 2017
Coffee Port- Planning
Ginger- Planning

Beers
Citra Smash- planning
Proper Job Clone- Fermenting- 16th October 2017
Doom Bar Clone- Fermenting- 8th October 2017
Liquorice Saison- Planning
Ella Pale Ale- Drinking

My food blog can be read- www.traveleatsurf.com

Old 21-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #33
Fil

plug in via something like this http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produc...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

and don spill liquor over the controls..
Dexter101 Likes This 
Old 21-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #34
Dexter101

Liked 82 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Thanks, that looks good, planning on brewing in the garage and better safe than frying on my own at the end of the garden...

Bit nervous of first time as at the moment brew on the hob and if it looks like it boiling over can just lift pot off the heat! cold water spray i guess might be useful?!

Wines
Forum Rose- primary fermenting- 30th August 2017
Matcha Green Tea- primary fermenting- 1st September 2017
Coffee Port- Planning
Ginger- Planning

Beers
Citra Smash- planning
Proper Job Clone- Fermenting- 16th October 2017
Doom Bar Clone- Fermenting- 8th October 2017
Liquorice Saison- Planning
Ella Pale Ale- Drinking

My food blog can be read- www.traveleatsurf.com

Old 21-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #35
nigelnorris
Beavis at Bat

Liked 229 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter101 View Post
Well this is sad to read, I have a brand new Ace Boiler ready and waiting for me on Christmas day...

Is there anything I should be doing to protect myself? Assuming it is generally ok to use them?!
There's loads of them around and apart from me being careless with mine I've heard literally nothing to suggest that they're not completely safe. Mine's produced a lot of beer since I've owned it, I guarantee that you'll enjoy yours, it's a fabulous way to get into AG brewing.
Dexter101 Likes This 
Old 21-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #36
Gerryjo

Liked 744 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelnorris View Post
I spilled a small amount of wort while mashing, and then the lights and sockets went out in my kitchen. I went to the cupboard under the stairs and turned the fuse switch thing back on and the kitchen came back to life. I went to turn my ACE boiler on [which had been off the whole time] and got a shock off of it.

I never had a mains shock before, scared the bejesus out of me.

Anyway I turned it back on from a distance, using a wooden spoon, and it seems to getting up to boil ok. Guess I'll just have to remember not to touch any of the metal parts of it in future.
Looks like your boiler is doing what it should causing your live to short to earth therefore activating your RCD on your fuseboard.

The viscosity of HOT boiling liquid has unfortunately gained access through your switch I would assume causing Live/Ground short in which case the correct thing to do would have been disconnect the boiler from the mains prior to resetting your RCD and cleaning any residual wort from electrical contacts that you can access and omitting the possibility of Electric shock!!!!

Remove access panels and dry with a hairdryer if you can and don't power up until you're certain there is no moisture present....

Old 21-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #37
chrisbjones202

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryjo View Post
Looks like your boiler is doing what it should causing your live to short to earth therefore activating your RCD on your fuseboard.

The viscosity of HOT boiling liquid has unfortunately gained access through your switch I would assume causing Live/Ground short in which case the correct thing to do would have been disconnect the boiler from the mains prior to resetting your RCD and cleaning any residual wort from electrical contacts that you can access and omitting the possibility of Electric shock!!!!

Remove access panels and dry with a hairdryer if you can and don't power up until you're certain there is no moisture present....
As above, but if some wort has got into the contacts don't use normal wd40 (it will leave a residue which will burn on the switch
contacts). You can get electrical contact cleaner which is basically a flash dry solvent from most diy/motor factors. Leave to dry before use.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Old 21-11-2017, 11:14 PM   #38
Gerryjo

Liked 744 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbjones202 View Post
As above, but if some wort has got into the contacts don't use normal wd40 (it will leave a residue which will burn on the switch
contacts). You can get electrical contact cleaner which is basically a flash dry solvent from most diy/motor factors. Leave to dry before use.

Nice call forgot that bit.....

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Old 22-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #39
Fil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbjones202 View Post

happy to stand corrected,, must admit i was considering the water repelling qualities which is probably the cause of the residue you describe..