2010 Hop harvest complete! -Update: Hop qty

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phettebs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ended up with ~3 pounds of dried Cascade. The Centennial are still drying and will be ready for packaging tonight.

-----------
Was not planning to harvest hops over the weekend but my parents called me up and said they were ready to go. So they cut them down, bagged them up, and then gave them to me for processing. Was up late last night picking the Cascade to prep them for drying today. Finally got them all picked by 10:30am this morning.

Ended up with two 6.5 gallon (US) buckets full of wet Cascade. I have not started on the Centennials yet. Fingers need a break! But the oast is full and the basement smells of lovely Cascade!

Got some pics of the process:

Me, wondering where to start...
IMG_3276.jpg

Cascade in the bucket:
IMG_3278.jpg

Loading up the oast. My dad and I built this last year and it works well for me. Just window screen on the bottom of some stackable trays with a box fan pointing down into the whole thing. I run it for about 36 hours (no heat at all) and they are perfectly dry.

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

I'll take some more pictures of the bagging and sealing process but I'm a few days out from that yet.

Barry

Thanks guys. I can't say that I really enjoy picking the hops off the vines but it's all part of the process I guess. The Centennials seem to be going much easier. Different vine structure that doesn't seem to be as intertwining as the Cascades were.

:clap: Excellent Piece of work :clap: ...If these wild hops of mine are any good I may be stealing your design next year ;) At present I have a length of Cutain netting ..in a makeshift hammock in the loft with my wild hops in...I also have a fan blowing to keep them aired and cool ..nothing so professional as yours :oops: :whistle:

Barry
Your oast is so similar to mine, that we must have read the same book!
I think lbs US and lbs Imp are the same, it's just fluid measure where you deviate.
Or am I wrong yet again! (1 lb = 454gms)

Eric,
I don't remember where I saw that design but it looked simple enough to build so we did! It works great. My dad has a saw mill so the wood is all stuff he cut and sawed himself. Cost me $0 to make it

Yeah, we may share a pound measurement. Not sure.

Barry

phettebs said:
I don't remember where I saw that design but it looked simple enough to build so we did! It works great.
I got my design from "The Homebrewers Garden - Fisher & Fisher", I think it's a US publication!
I shall be using it in anger for the first time in a few days.

Back