opinions on dry hopping/late hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulpj26

Regular.
Reaction score
I was wondering what people opinions are on dry hopping and late hopping with regards to the fact that you are actually putting something into the beer which has not been sanitised? I was having this conversation with an ex-head brewer at the NCBA meet on saturday, he was dead against putting anything into the beer once the boil had finished.

I have to admit I agreed with him. It does seem silly to me we spend so much time and effort trying to sanitise everything that comes into contact with the beer after the boil has finished, it seems crazy to then throw a load of un-sanitised hops in.

What's everyone else's opinions?

:thumb: :cheers:

I have dry hopped many many beers. I've used both pellets and whole hops. I've used commercial whole hops and I've used my own home grown hops. I've never once had a problem. Does that mean it can't happen? Of course not. There's always the possibility. But at that point, you've got alcohol in the beer which will help with any nasties that might be lurking about. Also, breweries have been adding hops to the cask for years.

I agree with you though, we are taught as brewers that nothing goes into the wort/beer that has not been sanitized. It seems counterintuitive to then chuck in dried vegetation! I guess each brewer has to make his/her own call on that. I absolutely love the taste/aroma of my keg hopped Cascade pale ale and would not dream of omitting the hops.

-Baz

Also, breweries have been adding hops to the cask for years.

That crossed my mind too Barry.

It does seem to be against everything you learn though :hmm:

I absolutely love the taste/aroma of my keg hopped Cascade pale ale and would not dream of omitting the hops

I with you there! :thumb:

OK, I'm going to try and be devils advocate here.

It seems that "those that do" are relying on the fact that dry hopping is done at the secondary/cleanup stage, so there will be enough alcohol in the beer to stave offmost bacterial attacks. Couple that with the idea that the essential oils contained in the hops are a natural antiseptic (the reason IPA's are so hoppy is exactly because of this reason), and that's why many believe the risk is neglegable.

:oops:

Anheuser Busch carry this to such extremes that they walk the hops still in the foil vac packs unopened past the coppers just in case the beer might pick up the slightest hint of bitterness or taste . . . . Some breweries in the UK are starting to do the same ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I beleive that the beloved hop is now loosing its appeal due to the current trend of austerity which is sweeping the country. I have read that one of the symptoms of austerity is that it affects the taste buds of a particular genome of the population, the brewery accountant, so much so they believe it is not necessary in beer at all.

:lol: :lol:

graysalchemy said:

I beleive that the beloved hop is now loosing its appeal due to the current trend of austerity which is sweeping the country. I have read that one of the symptoms of austerity is that it affects the taste buds of a particular genome of the population, the brewery accountant, so much so they believe it is not necessary in beer at all.

I think you mean Malt GA :rofl:

paulpj26 said:
graysalchemy said:

I think you mean Malt GA :rofl:

I meant Hop but perhaps you are correct it may also be affecting the taste buds in the malt department as well :rofl: :rofl:

Look, I know jack ship about brewing, so take this with a pinch of salt, but bacteria need food, warmth, oxygen and moisture to survive. Dried Hops contain little water, so I can't see them being great places for colonies of nasties to survive in waiting. and as had been said, their natural oils may also have an anti-bacterial effect. Given that they are chucked into a hostile environment containing alcohol and little oxygen (due to the CO2), perhaps this explains why the addition of late hops rarely results in a spoiled brew?

Just supposition, you understand.

jjsh said:
but bacteria need food, warmth, oxygen and moisture to survive.

Not all need oxygen, Clostridium as an example is killed by the presence of oxygen.

Latest posts

Back