yeast & Sediment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ijdicer

Reaction score
ive currently got a batch in my pantry that i made from apples pressed from the tree in my garden. i added my yeast today and my kids have shaken the bottle. the yeast i added is now at below the fine sediment from the juice at the bottom of the demijohn. Will this inhibit the yeast or the quality in any way if i just leave it?

give it a day or two and if there's no noticeable evidence of a ferment, then a gentle rousal with a sanitised spoon (or handle end of a spoon if the DJ nozzle isn't wide enough for the spoon end) should get it suspended again ;)

edit, i doubt it'll affect the flavour as it'll all drop out at the end of the ferment anyway

Vossy1 said:
I hope you didn't fill the dj too full...if you did..tonight the yeast will throw out what it doesn't want....all over wherever you've put it :twisted:

agreed, lots of towels or putting the DJ in a bucket might be in order if you have :cool:

theres 3L in the demijohn 1g capacity, i did wonder whether or not i should have bought more apples to fill it up more but i wanted a product purely from my own apples.

Sounds great ij :) I don't think we have a "how to make cider from apples" thread, would you mind posting your process :D

edit - I think all we have is how to make turbo-cider :oops:

i tried to stick to the instuctions from here http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~gunni ... ingit.html
as closely as i could.

Basically the apples on my tree in my garden produced enough apples for approx 3.5L of juice.
I just rinsed them, quartered them and used an electric juicer (that my mother once bought on a whim and never used). added a crushed campden tablet to the juice and then added a teaspoon of Youngs Brew wine yeast 24 hours later.
This is my first attempt at making cider from apples so ive no idea how its going to turn out.
at the moment the juice is a yellowy colour (which i think is from using the electric juicer i.e. not much oxidising) and quite cloudy. Ill update as to how the fermentation goes.

Nice one, cheers :cool:

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out :grin:

this is the setup at the moment

Picture014.jpg

the white froth in the middle seems to have appeared since i added the yeast which im (hopefully) taking as a sign that its starting to work.

Do you think there would be any issues with not filling the demijohn any more?

Do you think there would be any issues with not filling the demijohn any more?

Usually ciders take off like rockets at 24 hours in. It's common practice to top the DJ up at 48 hours...if there's room, once the initial vigorous fermentation has subsided :D

Latest posts

Back