Next step from Beer!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bakernat

Reaction score
Hi. I love this site and love the Moley's thread on Wurzels Orange wine (and Moley's 'cut down' version of how too) which is why I joined.

I started my wine making a day or too before stumbling on the site resulting in the following from left to right. It is basically Wurzels mix but the reference I got it from had two wine juice instead of one but adds less sugar. As this is my first attempt at wine making I have steered clear of hydrometer readers in favour of the 'trial and error' approach.

The result as of three days ago is gently bubbling away in my airing cupboard

Brew 1 - 5 Sep - Bubbling Nicely but lively:
-2LWhite Grape Juice
-1L Apple & Raspberry Juice
-525g Sugar

Brew 2 - 5 Sep - Nuclear Bubbling!:
-1L White Grape Juice
-1L Orange & Pineapple Juice
-1L Apple Juice (from real apples through a juicer)
-525g sugar

Brew 3 - 6 Sep - Bubbling Nicely:
-2L Red Grape Juice
-1L Orange & Raspberry juice

Brew 4 - 6 Sep - Bubbling Nicely:
-2L Red Grape Juice
-1L Pomegranate, Grape & Apple
-525g Sugar

Brew 5 - 6 Sep - Bubbling Nicely:
-1L Red Grape
-1L Orange Juice
-1L Ruby Breakfast Juice
-525 Sugar

As soon as I work out how to insert images I will but the first two I filled to high (in PET) and have made a bit of a mess but I have learnt my lesson for the other three. :clap:

Having seen this amazing thread I am now adopting the 1L White Wine, 1L Orange for one batch and I have also got a litre of Blueberry Juice which could be fun. Just got to wait for more Pecto to arrive first! Anyone tried it with Blueberry juice yet?

Nat
:drink:

Worked out the pic thing!

IMG00424-20110907-1231.jpg

good luck with them all !

I an new here too ... just done my 2nd beer brew, Edme Stout and also got 5 litre's of WOW on the go :-)

A great site !

:cheers:

And my normal daybeer selection:

beers.jpg

From the top:

-Bitter in the barrels
-Stout on the top shelf
-Bitter
-Lager (thought I would give it a go)
-Framboise (Keeping the good lady watered)

ok wow, liking the selection and the labels! i must start labelling the drinks i am making. got any recipies. like the Framboise? i've got loads of things on the go at the moment! and conditioning!

Cheers

Andy

looking good

im new here. just one my second attempt at brewing at the minute. first attempt was a pear cider kit, that went really well. just on with some vimto. some of the guy have been giving me helpful pointers. may try a few recipes off here.

happy brewing
:drunk:

Now a little concerned. 1 and 2 are still bubbing away like a bad boy but 3-5 are not bubbling (through airlocks). They are, however, still happily fizzing away and following the best advice of potentially dodgy seals and patience I will let them be for a week or so and see how things pan out.

On the bright side my Magnum mendium Dry from a kit kicks **** and I will be bottling tomorrow evening!

Wow nice effort, looks like you got some good fermentation going on there, I also like the collection you seem to be building up on that shelf! :thumb:

WOW!(literally) they look amazing! i really wanna try them.. did my first batch of a "wow" kinda thing today.. red grape.... and white grape! ;) haha

OK so 24 hours later and they are starting to clear. Holding steady at about 18 degrees and looking good so far concidering that I didn't add Pecto until after racking as I was gewtting arsed around by internet delivery (one of many issues with being in Northern Ireland).

startingtoclear.jpg

Will try and put up another pic tomorrow to cronical how things are going (kids dependant!).

Now completely caught the bug (not that I have a compulsive nature...).

I managed to get hold of an old water cooler bottle in lieu of a large carboy as I am too tigh to pay for a glass jobbie when a plastic one costs so much less. I did intend to make a batch of 'classic' WOW but my local tescos had an offer of aplle juice bringing the costs down furhter to 15p per litre bottle!

Fermented the mix yesterday resulting in the following which is hidden away (from the kids) in the airing cupboard (at about 24 degrees):

IMG00012-20110917-0915.jpg

Please note the PET lid/blue tac/black nasty tape combo in lieu of a bung as I didn't have one and couldn't wait. Life should be about improvisation after all!

Just to make sure that I wasn't bored I found some time today to mix a batch of 'by the book' WOW before realising this afternoon that I had some blueberry juice spare and sticking another one on this evening. Instead of consigning then to the airing cupboard I may leave these in the kithcen so that I can watch the magic happening.

next.jpg

Lets see what happens! :wha:

OK so double update. Yesterday (sunday) was looking good:

gettingthere.jpg

Today is looking even better!

IMG00021-20110919-1909.jpg

Some are doing beter than others and some very good indeed!

IMG00022-20110919-1909.jpg

I will give all five a few more days and see what happens.

Apple and White grape topped up and fizzing away with a bubble every 4 seconds or so.

Now with a proper bung!

IMG00031-20110920-1046.jpg

I am not sure what happend the the pic from above of the White Grape and Apple. Trying again:

IMG00031-20110920-1046.jpg

OK so number 1 was taking forever to clear so I have re-racked and added another dose of pectolase and will see what happens.

Whilst there I looked at number 2

-1L White Grape Juice
-1L Orange & Pineapple Juice
-1L Apple Juice (from real apples through a juicer)
-525g sugar

It looked great and, being totally impatient, I thought I would give it a go:

IMG00034-20110920-1450.jpg

The verdict?

Not bad at all and very drinkable now but will probably be better after a week or two in the bottle.

My first wine from scratch and I am pretty happy! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back