Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd one qc control...yep..all good!

20160815_202002.jpg

Yep..! As Larry F Says. 2.5g (1/2 teaspoon) per 500ml bottle. I used DME just because I had some in an open packet to use up. Still don't know what happened to the corny though, I can only think I must have doubled up somehow...

About to do my first Brew, specifically with this kit.
Planning to use a bottling bucket and priming solution.
Would the method still the same - (2.5g) 1/2 a teaspoon per 500ml bottle?
Say for example I had 40 bottles, would I boil 2 cups of water with 100grams of sugar? Reason for asking is because I've read in a couple of places the people have varied between 60g-80g when making the solution.
Sorry for newby question :)

Say for example I had 40 bottles, would I boil 2 cups of water with 100grams of sugar? Reason for asking is because I've read in a couple of places the people have varied between 60g-80g when making the solution.

sounds like Ur 'batch priming' so don't think about the bottles so much, just get 5grams of sugar for each litre of wort. so if you've done 23litres Ur amount would be 115grams.
boil up 200-400ml of water and add Ur sugar but add with pot off the hob temporarily to avoid scorching.
stir slowly and keep pot on hob for about ten mins.
leave to cool, covered. add to bottling bucket when its reached wort temp or there about. I've added Myn earlier as I've found it cools quicker
create a spiral shape with Ur transfer tube around the sides of the BB to create a whirlpool effect when your beer goes in it will mix better with the sugar. (you can stir it but I personally prefer this way)

good luck fella

poochops
youl see a recent thread on here entitle 'head' which gives tips on getting a froth on your beer. give it a look in

sounds like Ur 'batch priming' so don't think about the bottles so much, just get 5grams of sugar for each litre of wort. so if you've done 23litres Ur amount would be 115grams.
boil up 200-400ml of water and add Ur sugar but add with pot off the hob temporarily to avoid scorching.
stir slowly and keep pot on hob for about ten mins.
leave to cool, covered. add to bottling bucket when its reached wort temp or there about. I've added Myn earlier as I've found it cools quicker
create a spiral shape with Ur transfer tube around the sides of the BB to create a whirlpool effect when your beer goes in it will mix better with the sugar. (you can stir it but I personally prefer this way)

good luck fella

Perfect, thanks ! :)

Yes! Just as Beerisgod suggested. Only thing I'd add is, if you're kegging it, - (or minikegging it), use less. 80g for 23 litres is about right, otherwise you'll end up with nothing but froth in your pint glass. Keep us posted...
...and good luck..!:thumb:

Thanks..got a stout conditioning. ..and 4 kits in the cupboard. Off to Wilko in the morning for another fv and will get 2 on the go this week. Just need to decide...

Cheers

Clint

pop the yeasts in the fridge if you plan on doing each batch a month at a time (or more) just make sure you note which one came with which

Yes! Just as Beerisgod suggested. Only thing I'd add is, if you're kegging it, - (or minikegging it), use less. 80g for 23 litres is about right, otherwise you'll end up with nothing but froth in your pint glass. Keep us posted...
...and good luck..!:thumb:

Thanks Marlon :)

Another thought, I have seen a youngs beer kit enhancer online. My understanding is that you would replace the sugar with this enhancer instead, is that right?
Would you use the enhancer in the same way, as in for batch priming? I've seen elsewhere that people have said to add the full 1Kg into the FV at the same time as the tin contacts and yeast, but that just does not sound right to me?

Thanks Marlon :)

Another thought, I have seen a youngs beer kit enhancer online. My understanding is that you would replace the sugar with this enhancer instead, is that right?
Would you use the enhancer in the same way, as in for batch priming? I've seen elsewhere that people have said to add the full 1Kg into the FV at the same time as the tin contacts and yeast, but that just does not sound right to me?
Personally, I've never used beer enhancer. If you're still talking about brewing Woodfordes Wherry, I don't think the kit needs anything, certainly not sugar! You could consider adding some Medium Spray Malt to give it more body if you like fuller bodied beer, I use 50 - 150 grams in 23 litres. If you' re thinking about carbonation, then replacing the sugar with MSM is what I would consider. You might also consider slinging the kit yeast and replacing it. Wilco's do an acceptable ale yeast for �£1.75
Hope that's not too confusing, I'm on my third pint tonight....well.....it's been a hot day....:drink:

Personally, I've never used beer enhancer. If you're still talking about brewing Woodfordes Wherry, I don't think the kit needs anything, certainly not sugar! You could consider adding some Medium Spray Malt to give it more body if you like fuller bodied beer, I use 50 - 150 grams in 23 litres. If you' re thinking about carbonation, then replacing the sugar with MSM is what I would consider. You might also consider slinging the kit yeast and replacing it. Wilco's do an acceptable ale yeast for ����£1.75
Hope that's not too confusing, I'm on my third pint tonight....well.....it's been a hot day....:drink:

Thanks for the response :)
Plan is still just to use the sugar for carbonation, so in that case I'll just grab some normal brewing sugar.
Yeast wise, have you tried SafAle S-04?

Thanks for the response :)
Plan is still just to use the sugar for carbonation, so in that case I'll just grab some normal brewing sugar.
Yeast wise, have you tried SafAle S-04?

I haven't but plenty on t'forum will've done

I used S04 a couple of times, very nice pint.
Following advice, encouragement, (& method) from Myqul and Terrym, I've almost finished 'growing' some Shepherd Neame 1698 yeast, that I've salvaged from certain death..! I plan to ask it to return the favour by adding it to a Wherry kit instead of the supplied yeast. I've got no idea what type it is, but it's had some positive reviews from Myqul, Terrym and others, so I have high hopes for it. I'll post when it's done!:party:

My first ever homebrew, a Wherry, stopped fermenting after 5 days and 4 days later I racked it into a 25l keg with 80gm dissolved sugar. FG was 1.10. I'm bitten by the homebrew bug and want to start another brew going and after fermentation, want to use the one keg I currently own. The Wherry has been in the keg and kept warm for 3 days now and I plan to condition it in a fridge at 10C. But as I want to re-use the keg in another week or so, can I bottle from the keg? And if so, when?

Personally, I've never used beer enhancer. If you're still talking about brewing Woodfordes Wherry, I don't think the kit needs anything, certainly not sugar! You could consider adding some Medium Spray Malt to give it more body if you like fuller bodied beer, I use 50 - 150 grams in 23 litres. If you' re thinking about carbonation, then replacing the sugar with MSM is what I would consider. You might also consider slinging the kit yeast and replacing it. Wilco's do an acceptable ale yeast for ��£1.75

is theyre yeast kit not up to it then :-?

is theyre yeast kit not up to it then :-?
Woodfordes (and some Forumites), might disagree, but fermentation is known to regularly stick at about 1.020 using the kit supplied yeast. This happened to me twice and I never figured out why. I had to rush out to Wilco's for a sachet of their GV12 yeast. Since then, I've become a bit paranoid about using the supplied packet. Also, you get almost double the quantity from Wilco's - 11gms. GV12 also seems more 'tolerant' and the finished gravity is usually lower and therefore ABV will be higher.
Woodfordes - don't get me wrong.!!! Your kits are my favourites! I buy more of them than all others put together, but your yeast...I can't get on with it.
This is a Wherry I pitched last night using a cultured up SN 1698 yeast. Took the snap a few minutes ago. (Tried a short video but it wouldn't load.) I've never seen this activity from a kit yeast.

20160830_074806.jpg

Woodfordes (and some Forumites), might disagree, but fermentation is known to regularly stick at about 1.020 using the kit supplied yeast. This happened to me twice and I never figured out why. I had to rush out to Wilco's for a sachet of their GV12 yeast. Since then, I've become a bit paranoid about using the supplied packet. Also, you get almost double the quantity from Wilco's - 11gms. GV12 also seems more 'tolerant' and the finished gravity is usually lower and therefore ABV will be higher.
Woodfordes - don't get me wrong.!!! Your kits are my favourites! I buy more of them than all others put together, but your yeast...I can't get on with it.
This is a Wherry I pitched last night using a cultured up SN 1698 yeast. Took the snap a few minutes ago. (Tried a short video but it wouldn't load.) I've never seen this activity from a kit yeast.

upload the video to youtube then embed it :)

Latest posts

Back