Turbo Cider Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrennas

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I attempted my first small batch of Turbo Cider with a few cartons Lidl Apple juice that was on offer for 2litres.

For the first 8 days it bubbled like crazy then it tailed off a little and I forgot about it....I have looked at it over the weekend and its stopped bubbling altogether now.....

The plan was to rank it once it start bubbling every 40 seconds or so and the gravity remained constant but I have missed the boat on that one now....

Its still pretty cloudy? Should I stick it in another FV and wait for it to go clear and then stick it in some bottles with a bit of sugar...or just leave it where it is for a few weeks and see if it clears where it is?

Should I leave it in a warmish room as it is now, or stick it in the garage?

Sorry for all the dumb questions...

Rack it, it may throw another sidement then bottle primed and should still carbonate. If you can be arsed that is. I usually just let it clear a bit in my 27l FV then bottle as I don't have another large FV to rack into.

I've never bothered racking TC. I'd give it (up to) a third week then bottle it, clear or not.
Keep it warm until a week after bottling, then cold for a fortnight, then drink it.

Did you add pectolase enzyme when you started it? If not it will stay cloudy come what may. If you did add pectolase then leave it to settle in a cold room preferably on a cold floor, but only if fermentation has stopped. TC will go down below 1.000.

The other question to ask did you add any strong tea or tannin. Tannin is one of the most important ingredients to add as it will give your cider a bit of bite. Finally once you have bottled it leave it, it tastes so much better after 3 months in the bottle, six is better. TC tends to be rather insipid if you just use apple juice and don't age it.

Yep...this is what I went with:

4L Apple Juice (+ 1L Top Up)
1 Cup Strong Tea
1 Tea Spoon Pectolase
1 Tea Spoon Yeast
1 Tea Spoon Yeast Nutrient

I racked it early this morning and I going to leave in a cold room for a bit and see what happens..

:thumb: :thumb:

Should turn out fine with a bit of time. A cold garage floor is wonderful for dropping out yeast sediment even in summer it acts as a heat sump drawing the temp out.

Latest posts

Back