Books

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo

Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if I have put this in the right place.

Could someone reccomend me a book or good source of information for homebrewing beer. I've had a go at doing a kit but would like to try a bit of all grain brewing but haven't got the foggiest what to do.

Cheers People.

Hi Bobo,

One of the best reference books is Home Brewing...a Camra guide written by Graham Wheeler.
It has all the info needed and a bit more. It's hard to get hold of now as it's out of print, but copies do turn up on E-bay every now and then. Don't be drawn into a bidding war though, as they often go for silly prices...look to pay less than a tenner...if you can wait.
The important thing is not to get bogged down in the theory. The best way to brew AG is TO BREW AG
The process is pretty forgiving and as long as you sanitise well (amongst other things) you will end up with a great pint :cool:
The forum is also a great reference, and someone should be around to answer any of your queries

I found one of the best ways to learn about AG was to see it being done.
Maybe there's a forum member near you and you could go along for a brew day...always an option.

Cheers Vossy,

Will keep an eye out for the book you mentioned.

Will have to try and find someone near me.

Thanks again for the info.

Nice to see you fancy the step up to AG :cool: once you have your head around the basics it's pretty easy :D

With regard books. I got a copy of 'Brew your own Real Ale At Home" by Graham Wheeler and a copy of Marc Ollossons Real Ale for the Home Brewer.

The best thing though to be honest is to ask loads of questions here, there is nothing like turning someone to all grain for an all grain brewer - everyone will be keen to help.

Ask away ! :cool: :D

I absolutely concur with Vossy.

That book is pretty good but I'd definitely try to hook up with another brewer and see it for yourself. Where abouts are you?

/Phil.

Thanks for the info,

The only reason i ask is I feel that you have limited options with kits, and also there is a pub up near my parents. Think its owned by Holts breweries, and they do a larger called crystal which has a really nice sweet flavour to it and I would like to try to replicate it.

I live in Swindon, didn't say I was from there ;)

Was born and raised in a place called Thornton, its about 10 miles outside Blackpool. Thats where my parents still live.

I'm in Basingstoke so probably too far for you. You'd be more than welcome though.

/Phil.

The only book i've read about brewing, as i'm not a big reader of books is John Palmer's How to Brew.

Very informative, but he does go into some great depths into the science of it all, which can actually make the whole process a little too daunting for a newcomer as i was when i read it.

It's one of those books you can skim through to get the idea, then when your more confident, and have a better understanding, go back and read again to get the sciency stuff :)

Latest posts

Back