Using a Thermopot as a Mash Tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy

Reaction score
Hello all

I need to upgrade my current Mash Tun to something better insulated as my homemade insulated fermenting bucket is not quite keeping the temperature I was hoping it would. It was only really meant to get me onto the AG ladder, which it has done.

I am currently brewing batches of 20 – 25l but I am want to be able to occasionally do brews of twice that size and also moving on to using Herms in the future. I am thinking that the best way to go is a Nordic / French thermopot as that would help me later on with setting up a herms system.

My question is that if I bought a 50L thermopot as a tun then for batch sizes of 20-25L (non herms) it’s going to be less than half full with grain and liquor, so I am wondering how much of a problem that empty space will have on maintaining its temperature over a 90min mash.

Basically I am trying to future proof my brewing kit rather than having to spend money on upgrading kit which would end up being obsolete if I start doing herms later on.

Has anyone got any experience of using a thermopot half full over a 90 min mash and what sort of temperatures was it loosing? If it was loosing too much heat is there any issues with draining off of some liquid, reheating it in a pan and adding it back to the mash to help maintain the temperature again.

Any experience on this would be great.

Cheers all.

The 50ltr will be fine half full, but it would be a good idea to pre heat it prior to adding the mash liquor, so you don't lose any temperature to the tun.

right I want one of these!

Would you kindly post the details of your purchase so I can approach them direct rather than ebay, would it be ok to offer the same price you paid and refer to your recent purchase?

In terms of the convertion to a mash tun, would a 12" false bottom fit ? is it a case of a Q-Max through both walls of the pot and squeezing them together at the connector joint ?

many thanks

Great, thanks everyone for the feedback.

Adomant, check out Vossy’s How to on the following link: http://jimsbeerkit.co.uk/home_brew_faq- ... -tun_1.htm ,

the email address on eBay for pots is:
[email protected],

I believe they are quite helpful and usually quote the same prices to everyone so I don’t think you will have any problems getting a similar price.

Vossy, thanks for the how to, it’s a great article.

Something that’s always worried me a little on HERMs is what happens if the mash gets stuck when recirculating with a pump, say a solar pump, will it damage the pump and if it’s a sealed tun then how can you check on the flow to make sure its still free flowing. Any suggestions please.

Thanks again

Just ordered a 50L to use as a MT and a 6L for converting into a heat exchanger (at a very later date), including delivery it was £93.

The 6L worked out at about £24 and the 50L was £58 and P&P £11.

I know I could make a heat exchanger out of something a bit less shiny than a thermopot but I was blinded by the shine :cool:

After converting the thermopot to a bottom draining type I managed to brewed with it today for a 5 gallon brew, so it was only half full, and it only lost 0.6c over 90mins so I am well happy with that. :party:

I preheated it, as I was advised too, I did wrap in with a few towels just in case it helped but I am not sure it really needed them.

Also I managed to find a great false bottom for the 50l Thermopot. I thought about having a FB made to fit but after emailing John at Hop & Grape for some advice on the sizes of the Blichmann FB’s I found out that the15 Gallon one fits perfectly inside it, result. So I just drilled 20 x 3mm holes spaced out over it and fitted M3 20mm A4 stainless steel bolts with nuts to raise it up from the bottom of the MT.

I am really happy with how its turned out. I am now just staring to collect some of the other things I need for converting the MT for doing HERMS, but one thing at a time.

Thanks for the help. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back