Late addition hops for aroma

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ni9e

Regular.
Reaction score
Is there a way of estimating how much aroma the late hops add to the final brew?

I don't think there is any way of scientifically measuring this.

I'd say it all depends on your own proboscis and how effective it is.

You'll need to work out your own hopping schedules based on your past recipes, and your tasting/aroma notes.
Even then, different hops and different harvest years will vary.

If in doubt, add more???????

I'd say it all depends on your own proboscis and how effective it is.
:lol:
I totally agree with warra, it's all about personal taste. Me, I'm a hop head and tend to go for 100g's in 60ltr batches, which is about 38g for 23ltr brew lengths, for 'normal' beers, but this can be far higher/lower/non existent, depending on what's being brewed.
I add all my aroma hops as a steep at 80 deg c now, and have noticed a big difference from 15 minute additions...for the better in my case.

Hey V1,

How long do you normally do a hot steep for? I have seen steep instructions on recipes, but they never include a time!

For a very hoppy aroma i'll go for about 80g of hops in a 10 (US) gallon batch. I'll end the boil, run the IC and recirculate, then throw in the hops (all within about a minute of each other).

Back