1st kit - John Bull cider tap or purified water?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeltz

Landlord.
Reaction score
After initially thinking that it would be good to try turbo cider as a 1st brew the nice lady at the homebrew shop suggested that a kit would be a more sensible way to go for a 1st attempt.

I bought this kit but with a bigger tub of steriliser, a better airlock grommet, thermometer and kilo of brewing sugar.

I have a reverse osmosis water purifier the water is about 95% pure, (I use it in fish keeping) by its nature it lacks dissolved solids which could effect the taste but the lack of buffering makes it unstable pH wise. Now I have no idea what that might mean to brewing but our tap water is quite hard so what are people's thoughts on using purified water or tap water or a mix of the 2 for example if I wanted pH stable soft water I would tend use a 75:25 mix pure:tap

Regards

Nic

Tap water is good, and in fact has served brewers for a VERY long time. There are minerals in tap water that are beneficial to yeast. The one thing you don't want in it. however, is chlorine. Treat your water with a campden tablet (I use 1/2 tablet per gallon of water) and after a minute or two you won't have chlorine in it any more! Other than that, just go for it.

No wonder the nice lady in the shop suggested it at that price. :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't bother with purified water to be honest. it probably won't make much difference to the cider. Water chemistry is more important in All Grain Beer brewing, than kits IMHO.

periolus said:
The one thing you don't want in it. however, is chlorine
Its a cider kit :wha: :wha: chlorine and chloramides are only a problem in beer with hops surely :wha: :wha:

Lets us know how you get on.

Good luck

:thumb:

If you have a 3-stage RO unit run some water through the carbon filter only. This will remove the chlorine/chloride/fluorine/fluoride, but dont run it through the membrane as this will strip out most of the trace elements. These elements are what gives your local water its taste.
Out of interest...what are your TDS readings, pre and post filtering.

graysalchemy said:
No wonder the nice lady in the shop suggested it at that price. :lol: :lol:
Didn't seem too bad to me but upon the mention of campden tablets I did a search and found another shop 10 minutes closer attached to a garden centre. I popped in to get the campden tablets and check out their stock, their prices are a bit cheaper on the whole and its well stocked. Also SWMBO will be happy pottering around the garden centre while potter round the homebrew.

johnnyboy1965 said:
Out of interest...what are your TDS readings, pre and post filtering.
No idea :D there was a TDS meter on it but it died years ago I don't remember what it read only that it indicated that it worked.

Just remeber to age the cider all cider benifits from 2-3 months aging otherwise it will taste insipid.

Thanks, I've read a few reviews and there are plenty of people saying it being insipid but others saying it improved after time. I presume you mean in to age it in bottles rather than in the fermenter?

Any things that I can do which would enhance it maybe a couple of pulped bramleys or a cup of strong black tea (I see no mention of tannin in the ingredients)?

periolus said:
The one thing you don't want in it. however, is chlorine
Its a cider kit :wha: :wha: chlorine and chloramides are only a problem in beer with hops surely :wha: :wha:
[/quote]

Many strains of yeast produce phenols, and unhealthy strains of the ones that don't produce lots can also suddenly kick it out (as can wild yeast from the air that contaminate FV's). These react with chlorine to produce chlorophenols and I thought it could happen with cider too? Or does it have to be heated strongly first, which is why it most commonly happens with beer?

Sorry mate wasn't questioning you I have never heard that one. I suppose if you have phenols anywhere then it could make tcp :hmm: :hmm: Tannin is phenolic isn't it?

All set up as per instructions, going for 32pts. SG 1.055 which seems spot on for a projected ABV of 7%, just have to wait now.
_waiting__by_Caeser1993.gif

Bought this kit from my local homebrew shop. Paid £10 for it and I was suprised with the results. Off the top of my head mine came out at 7.2 or 8.2vol, and i used bottled spring water and nothing extra.

It tasted dry, and fantatic over ice. It didnt have the kick you would expect from such a high vol cider

Well its started fermenting, made the rookie mistake of overfilling the airlock bit recognised it just after I put the top on. Its already generating some CO2 as I can see the water shifting, might be bubbling every so often but I've not seen it happen yet.

Exciting times!

Well a week on and its doing well, SG is down to 1.010, I've tasted it (every time I've tested the SG :D ) and its none too shabby so with age I'm expecting it to be very pleasant.

I'm guessing it will have finished fermenting by Sunday but I'll leave it a bit before bottling.

Latest posts

Back