Advice required on late addition campden tablets please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleythecat

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a TC and a WOW on the go at the moment. Both about a month old and I didn't add any campden tablets as I thought it would effect the carbonation at a later date. I read yesterday that I could easily end up with a foul smelling liquid instead!

So a couple of questions from a misguided homebrewer please!

Will campden tablets effect carbonation?
If not can I add them now?
and if I do how many for 23l, does it scale up or is there a maximum amount?

The TC will be aging for a few months (23l) but I will bottle the wow (two demijons) in the next couple of days. I want to bulk prime and bottle condition the wow...

Thanks in advance!

Leo

If you are priming then i wouldnt bother with the campden tablets. for the WOW.

Are you going for malo-lactic fermentation with the cider? If so leave them out as well IMO :thumb:

alanywiseman said:
If you are priming then i wouldnt bother with the campden tablets. for the WOW.

Are you going for malo-lactic fermentation with the cider? If so leave them out as well IMO :thumb:

Thanks Alan! That's reassuring! Yes trying for the malo-lactic fermentation for the TC and priming the WOW.

Regards

Leo

Main reason you add a CT very early on when making wine is to kill any natural yeasties etc that might be on the fruit, so you'll get the fermentation you want with the yeasties you add.

When yer making TC or wine with just fruit juice then no need to do this as there shouldn't be any yeast living in it ;p

I read that they were essential if I didn't want my brew to end up an undrinkable soup that smelled of rotten fish and that the shelf life without any kind of sulphate would be no longer than 4 weeks. This worried me!

I was reading up about methods for making sparkling wines at the time.

Leo

If there's a chance your ingredients are harbouring nasties, you can add Campdens at the start (and wait 24hrs before pitching yeast). With shop-bought juice, no point.
Some people use a small amount of Campden to condition their water.
For ale and cider, that's it.
For wine, many people use 1 at each racking, to minimise the risk of oxidation.
If you want fizzy wine, maybe not bother, relying on the live yeast to mop up spare oxygen, but you /could/, as Campden stuns but does not kill yeast - it /should/ wake up eventually and do your carbonation.
For still wine, use Campden and potassium sorbate in combination.

Back