20 questions (nearly) on effects of over-nutrienting yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've accidentally added double the amount of yeast nutrient to the FV I've got going at the moment. (20l of rickthebrew's Fiery Ginger Beer)

The recipe said 2 teaspoons, but I accidentally followed the side of the nutrient packet and added 4tsp.

It's been fermenting furiously since day1 - OSG 1058, SG on day 6 was 1022, so the ferment is going nicely.

What effect will the surplus nutrient have?
Why did the recipe say 2tsp and the nutrient packet say 4tsp?
Will the nutrient just mean the ferment has been faster?
Will there be any influence on the taste? (Whether that's a taste/aftertaste of the nutrient, or forced yeast forming different chemicals in the same way that warm temperatures create fruity esters.)
Will this make the yeast ferment it to a super-dry extent - if so, should I stop the ferment early?

Thanks for any suggestions/opinions. :D

No problem adding the nutrient as specified on the tub. There are a few different nutrient makes and they are all different. Nutrient will help the yeast achieve a good attenuation so the result will be dry, but it usually is, so no real difference there. So don't worry all will be fine.

Latest posts

Back