Advise my first time using Brewmaker-"old english ale"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1969

Reaction score
Hi all
looking for advise on how to improve my second batch.. ;-)

I've made my first beer (Brewmaker “old english ale”) and it was clear and reddish but to my mind it tasted very bitter and slightly sour. where did I go wrong?!

The temperture was 20c for 9 days and the hydrometer had not moved for the last 2 days (bought a fish tank heater after 2 days because it was snowing!).

So, I did the second fermentation added 80grams of malt-sugar into the barrel (plus added the CO2 gas now, i guess too early?), then placed in a warm room for 2 more days.

Finally moved into the corner of a cold kitchen on the floor for 19days and tried it.

Any suggestions would be great, or is that ale style normally very bitter.

PS. I have now idea of the Alcohol %, I think it was 4% before the second-fermentation.
PPS. Yesterday Started my 2nd batch “yorkshire” but this time at 23c.

sounds like a possible infection, but you'd probably notice it visually. how are you sanitizing?

if you enjoyed it, you can't be going too far wrong!

I was using bruclens steriliser
I say it was bitter and slightly sour.
Three friends said they thought it was OK for a first attempt but all agreed it was very bitter. None of they have tried homebrew before
A just want to improve and figured someone might notice obvious mistakes

Thanks

Yes I am finding
Was 9 days too long on the first barrel
It was when snow wing that week

Yes it was clean afterwards

Was 9 days too long on the first barrel
It was when snow wing that week

What about the second stage
I added the gas straight away perhaps waiting a 3-4 days
and then add the co2 gas

Yes it's hard but this time i used Brita water filter it took 2 hours to do 23 liters
bit I hope it's worth it!

that's pretty unneccessary - if you treat the whole volume of water with a single Campden Tablet the night before, it should have it tasting a lot better!

Latest posts

Back