"Crash cooling"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanvine

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have read on several occasions posts referring to “crash cooling” the FV prior to bottling.
Is this a way of avoiding using finings or additional to it?
Does this involve this use of a dedicated fridge to put the FV in or is there another way that escapes me?
Just interested really as Gelatin works very well for me.

Many thanks TS, that explains a lot of the posts I've been reading.
After reading your link to Vossy1 I don't think I'll be going down that road (looks expensive with chiller unit), think I'll wait for my beers to clear!

I use an old fridge I got from re-cycle for my fermenting fridge,so it cost me nought.Always leave my beers at least 10 days,then on the last day slowly turn the temp down.
Keeps my brews away from the cats too,as they are very naughty. :nono:

Although I bottle and keg some beers straight out of primary, for example dark milds or Australian Pale Ales, I find that most light coloured ales benefit from a good cold crash for up to two weeks. I have a lagering fridge that can hold three vessels (I use 23 litre food grade 'jerrycans' used to carry water, you can get them at all camping or hardware stores here). Even ales such as Landlord style pale ales / bitters seem to polish up so much better when kept at about 3 degrees for a fortnight. About 4 days before bottling or kegging I add gelatine then a couple of days later I add PVPP Polyclar to remove chill haze, then keg or bottle. Even when apparently crystal clear there always seem to be enough surviving yeast cells to kick off carbonation in the bottle although it can take a few weeks.
It's amazing how much **** settles out to the bottom of the 'lagering' vessels even though the beer is often quite clear looking when I put it in. ;)

9-1.jpg

Bribie
Now there’s an excellent idea I’ve never thought of, using plastic Jerry cans.
I see you use a substance to clear “the chill haze”, doesn’t this clear when the beer warms up?
I’ve never chilled beer so I don’t know.

Yes chill haze clears when the beer warms up, for something like a Yorkshire Bitter drunk at 12 degrees it's not an issue, but cold lagers look so much better if you can get them crystal clear. Fortunately Aussie home brewers have got away from the idea that everything has to be drunk at near freezing point :thumb:

Fortunately Aussie home brewers have got away from the idea that everything has to be drunk at near freezing point
So why do you keep trying to sell the idea to us...it's ruddy cold enough here already :lol:

(typical fosters add over here features extra cold every time)

so to sum up

rack from primary FV into jerry can etc

put in fridge for 14 days

@ 10 days add gelatine
@ 12 days add PVPP polyclar
@14 days rack to cornie/ bottles

is there then enough yeast left for priming the bottles via sugar ?

Vossy1 said:
Fortunately Aussie home brewers have got away from the idea that everything has to be drunk at near freezing point
So why do you keep trying to sell the idea to us...it's ruddy cold enough here already :lol:

(typical fosters add over here features extra cold every time)

V1
That was one of most "to the point" comments I've read in ages.
I think the "ice cold" idea comes from the US where they don't really like to taste anything!

Back