Turbo cider question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellz Bellz

Reaction score
I read somewhere that some people leave TC in the DJ for a couple of months before bottling. Is leaving it in the DJ for a couple of months not the same as leaving it in the bottle for a couple of months? :hmm:

Not quite. The various bits of subtle chemistry involved in maturing can get on better(sooner?less variation?) in bulk.

There are many, many pages of the internet devoted to bulk vs bottle ageing. And there are many devotees to both.

I personally prefer bulk ageing as I have the space and the spare demijohns to do so. Currently I have 5 DJs of last November's blackberry wine, and 2x 5 gallon FVs of cider ageing since February. They are sitting in my garage out of the way and there are plenty of empty ones waiting to be filled. The benefits, as Oldbloke stated are that you will achieve uniformity over your product. Also, a larger volume of liquid is less sensitive to temperature fluctuations; in the recent hot weather we have had, bulk ageing would have provided a better measure of protection for your drink.

To counter that, the arguments for bottle ageing are mainly space saving and the allocation of DJs / Fvs for long term use. If you are limited in either space or brewing vessels, get your product ageing in the bottle and get brewing again.

Both produce great results but I would err towards bulk conditioning if you could.

Back