'muntons premium' sauvignon blanc

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrig

Banned
Reaction score
After the partial success of my last 6 bottle wine kit i thougt i would give a 30 bottle kit a go, it also helped that they were reduced to £10 at wilko's... The Kit is made up of grape juice concentrate, Yeast, Stabilizer & finnings, and the instructions are aimed at somebody who has probably done a few kits before.

very simple process of adding the bottle ' "jerry can" to a fermenting vessel and then adding water up to the mark. It couldn't be easier.

Wash out the bottle

Remember to remove the ring of plastic before pouring in... lets assume for now it was fairly sterile. :whistle:

Cooling down to pitching temp

Yeast pitched and left in the cooler spot in the kitchen, roughly 20'c

Hydrometer reading of 1.090 and its bubbling away nicely.

Once its finished (or there abouts) i'll be moving it to Demi Johns and store in somewhere cool and dark for a while, probably a month or two before bottling. Should work out at around 4p per bottle..... :drunk:

I too managed to grab one of these (and a Shiraz)...was only going to get one - label said they were £9.32. Imagine my shock and horror at the till when the lady says they were only £5!
I had to go back and get another!

Looking good for you...question: I've never done a 30-bottle brew before (in fact, I've only ever done one thing before and it's clearing as we speak), so I wanted to ask:

I have a 30-bottle fermenting bin given to me, same as you have here...should I go and buy one of the ones with proper handles and a screw-lid thingy on top (smaller, black screw-on cap with hole for a bung etc.), or will that bin be fine (I can probably scrounge a second one..)?

Go buy a fermenter and the airlock and bung to go with it.
You will need another vessel for racking anyway so you might as well get a properly airight one.

Having the two will mean that you can rack into the bucket and syphon back to the closed fermenter and also use the bucket for brewing beers or fermenting country wines on the pulp.

This is fermenting still and smelling great. But I have not touched it since last week.

I don't think the bucket is ideal but it will be racked in to demi johns as soon as its close to finishing and then put away for a while. I'm not sure how long though. The mrs only drinks sparkling wine so im thinking of fining and stabilising it all... Then adding a champagne yeast starter to half of it with priming sugar after a few months when its time to bottle

after storing itnjn the cold since the last post this was looking crystal clear
I bottled this yesterday and its fairly drinkable less than a month in!

I bottled 10L in to 1L plastic bottles with 2tea spoons of priming sugar, im unsure of this is enough for a decent amount of fizz. I can try adding more tonight before it gets going. I'll then freeze the caps to remove the yeast in time for Christmas.

The rest went in to 500ml plastic bottles. Just handy for a drink in the evening!

I usually put a couple of glass bottles hidden away but I can't see any getting in to 2014.

Hi.
l brewed one six months ago, paying full price. I brewed short
at 20l as I think you did, looking at the fv picture. The wine
filled 3 PETs to the top and I bottled the rest. I have one PET
left for Xmas as it was a great hit with my wife even for
two quid a bottle. Have done a 9 quid Chardonet 22 1/2 litre now,
where I added 3 litre of wgj and 2 cans wgc picked up from
Tescos for 80p each as Tescos appear to be giving up homebrew.

Latest posts

Back