Bleach or Sterilizer powder for sanitation- Pros & Cons?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_593

Reaction score
Hi guy.

Just wondering what people use for sterilisation? I've used both sterilizer and beach.

Bleach is a lot cheaper than buying the steriliser powder.

Wondering what the pros and cons are of the two? (Bleach seems to be far more financially viable and possibly more effective?).

Thanks,

Nick

I've just got myself some star san which is going to be a life saver.

But I used to use thin unscented bleach diluted in water. Time consuming because of all the rinsing but it worked :thumb:

+1 San Star is a life saver

crE said:
I've just got myself some star san which is going to be a life saver.

But I used to use thin unscented bleach diluted in water. Time consuming because of all the rinsing but it worked :thumb:

just read the thread titled sterilization mate. Great debate going on about the rights and wrongs there.
BTW I use chempro for fv and for bottles i use a steam gun for inside of them. saves on time extra money costs and does the job. Although to some I'm not allowed to recommend this as i have only been homebrewing for three years after some 20 odd year lay off.

I also use Starsan. It's no rinse which saves so much time. It's also not expensive as you can reuse the solution. It does need low alkalinity water to make up the solution which is why many of us use Tesco Ashbeck water. The other problem is you may not be able to get it from your LHBS but once you've bought a bottle online it will last for ages.

Latest posts

Back