"Genuine Brewers Yeast" by Twin Labs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claytonmscott

Reaction score
So, on the advice of my friend, he said to buy brewers yeast. I did, and pitched my first three 1 gallon batches and jist got curious to read a disclaimer on the side, "...not to be mistaken for 'brewers type yeast' or..."

It is too early to know what affect it will have, as I just pitched it about 4 hours ago. Is this stuff acceptable, or do I need to repitch with a proper yeast and hope for the best?

Twinlabs Genuine Brewers Yeast

jy5ynysa.jpg

It almost makes me wonder if it would otherwise be a yeast nutrient?

Yes it is a health product. You have no idea of what the yeast is or if in fact it has been pasturised (i would have thought so). if it doesn't get going in the next 12 hrs then you need to pitch some proper brewing yeast, and if that is the case it will probably provide a load of useful nutrients for the brew on this occasion.

What is it you are actually brewing I take it it is wine.

Cider. Well, trying.

At this point I am simply experimenting with yeasts, and completely missed the warning until after I used it. I do feel quite dumb.

I am getting other yeasts, but this was the one most available and was a great price.

I'm in Hong Kong, so I am limited with local sourcing options.

You are better off with some champagne yeast, that is what most cider producers use. :thumb: :thumb:

Need to get yourself down to your local home brew shop or online I think. :thumb: :thumb:

I may try that. What I'm worried about after that is sweet.

Update...

So, after 48 hours nothing noticeable was happening. I dropped in a 1/2 pack of Safeale S-04 for two of the gallons, and a whole in the third. By morning, just eight hours later, very active fermenting. Fingers crossed.

Other thoughts and questions:

I saw some people have recipies adding sugar, and even concentrate. I didn't. Just straight apple juice and yeast. Was that a mistake?

And side note: can't find a ready supply for champagne yeasts, and the only apple juice concetrate I can find is in the health food stores, and very expesive, nearly $80 HKD ($10 US).

Straight AJ will give 5 to 6.5 %, depending on the juice. Quite enough for most people, so no extra sugar needed unless you're after making rocketfuel.

US$10 for how much? Half a litre of concentrate + half a litre of normal AJ + half a litre of SomeOtherJuice is one of my standard mixes for a gallon. Most concentrates want diluting about 1 to 6. I only use them to get a bit more apple into each gallon, and it ups the ABV a bit but not too much. Also the concentrate I use is bang in the recommended acidity range for cider and tastes great - but I doubt Suma exist where you are.

Worried about sweet? Simplest is to let it ferment right out to dry then add artificial sweetener if you want sweet, don't if you don't.
Or if you don't mind still cider, or can carbonate artificially, use stabiliser to stop the yeast before it eats all the sugar - but you'll have to mess about taking hydrometer readings (or taste samples) to judge when.

Back