'Lager' Malt for SNPA Attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBWood

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening All,

I’ve been thinking of having a go at SNPA type brew for a while and I’m in the process of listing the ingredients needed.

The base malt is simply described as ‘larger’ malt in the recipes I’ve come across. Does anyone have an opinion on the brand of larger malt to buy ?

The reason I ask is that I’m also considering a full blown larger now I have my ferm fridge and can keep the temps where they need to be. Pilsner Urquell is calling, I understand this is described as a Bohemian Pilsner and Weyermann’s Bohemian Pilsner Malt would therefore seem to fit the bill.

So, keeping the product / delivery cost down I’m going to order a 25kg sack from Rob The Malt Miller. Anyone have an opinion on if the Weyermann malt will fit the bill for the SNPA or any other brews that require an amount of ‘larger’ malt ?

The Weyermann is quite a bit more expensive; is this a bit of a waste sticking loads of Cascade in it instead of Saaz ?

Cheers :thumb:

A

Any pilsner malt will do, Belgian is good thing (and Weyermann is rather overpriced). Use it for lagers, Belgian & French ales, American ales. I guess it will fit golden ales as well.

Think you should be ok , I tend to use what ever I have a sack of , be it pale ale, Marris otter or lager malt.
My taste buds can't tell the difference :D

Andy

I seem to remember reading that Bohemian Pilsner malt is not as well modified as normal Pilsner malt so you might need to do a stepped mash. But I can't find that with a quick google so I could be wrong!

Thanks Both,

May just go for the Weyermann.... but only so I feel more 'authentic' when I go for the full-blown Urquell recipe

A

I don't think the base malt in the SNPA is going to make a lot of difference, whatever you use will be overpowered by the crystal and all those lovely hops!
The lager however won't have the crystal or the hops so you will be relying on the quality of the malt so it's worth pushing the boat out on something decent, now I've yet to get around to making a lager but I'm drinking a very nice Kolsch at the moment made from 100% Dingemans Pilsner ( £28 a sack from the MM ) and Saaz hops, I'd recommend it!

Hi rpt,

Yes - I've read that too but I think only with reference to the 'floor-malted' stuff.

The 'standard' stuff is, I believe, well modified so single-step mash ok.

I will, however, have to do some more reading up. Not at the multi stage mash temp level yet :shock:

A

I've always found Fawcetts lager malt to be very good for light coloured beers and lagers :thumb:

AndyBWood said:
Hi rpt,

Yes - I've read that too but I think only with reference to the 'floor-malted' stuff.

The 'standard' stuff is, I believe, well modified so single-step mash ok.

Yes, it is. This year I was lazy so made everything with single step infusion mashes, no matter if it was pale malt or pilsner. No problems with excessive protein levels, good clarity, healthy fermentations. Just keep an eye on mash pH.

I've used the Crisps Lager malt and the Dingemans Pale Ale Malt to make SNPA type beers with great success.
You'll want to add a little caramel / crystal malt into the mix too. This is where the malt character and colour come from.

Both the Crisps and the Dingemans will give a good base for this beer.

Evening All,

Finally went for the Dingemans Pisner Malt and ordered from Rob last night. Thanks for all the input :thumb:

Not posted a full 'pictorial' brewday last few times but will do when I get this one together.

A

kid curry said:
Hi Keith1664,
that Kolsh sounds nice any chance of the recipe? I wouldn't mind having a go at that next.
Thanks, Jez

Kolsch #3 (Kolsch)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.007 (°P): 1.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.41 %
Colour (SRM): 2.6 (EBC): 5.1
Bitterness (IBU): 25.0 (Average)

100% Pilsner

2.5 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 68°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 17°C with WLP029 - German Ale/Kolsch

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I've found that the Kolsch yeast attenuates down quite a bit, I fermented at 17°c for 3 weeks then crash cooled for a week. The first keg was lagered for a month, the second 2. The second keg is nicer!
If you bother with water treatment I used the Bru'n'water Yellow Malty profile.
This was my third go at a Kolsch and it's the closest I've come to a commercial version. Previously I've used UK lager malt with Munich or Vienna.

keith1664 said:
kid curry said:
Hi Keith1664,
that Kolsh sounds nice any chance of the recipe? I wouldn't mind having a go at that next.
Thanks, Jez

Kolsch #3 (Kolsch)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.007 (°P): 1.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.41 %
Colour (SRM): 2.6 (EBC): 5.1
Bitterness (IBU): 25.0 (Average)

100% Pilsner

2.5 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 68°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 17°C with WLP029 - German Ale/Kolsch

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I've found that the Kolsch yeast attenuates down quite a bit, I fermented at 17°c for 3 weeks then crash cooled for a week. The first keg was lagered for a month, the second 2. The second keg is nicer!
If you bother with water treatment I used the Bru'n'water Yellow Malty profile.
This was my third go at a Kolsch and it's the closest I've come to a commercial version. Previously I've used UK lager malt with Munich or Vienna.

Thanks for that, I'll brew it after Christmas and let you know how I get on :thumb:

Latest posts

Back