(Not as) fiery ginger (but with orange) beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
After showering with original source orange and ginger, I believe this is a potentially winning combination. I have tried a 1 gal batch of the fiery with lemon and a 1 gal batch of the fiery with oranges (3). The lemon is spot on but the orange was lacking zestyness (although it isnt ready yet but I had a cheeky taste) So I want to try again. .. This is what I propose:

first orange batch was:
120g ginger
3 oranges
1/2tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp glycerine

Alterations:
120g ginger
6 oranges - skin grated and flesh chopped and thrown in
1 liter orange juice from concentrate
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp glycerine

you know I spotted some vanilla in the cupboard and being a fan of harvey wall bangers I am very tempted to throw some in but I will restrain myself for this experiment.

just bottled the first batch of orange ginger beer and it is really nice :party:

I'd like more zest tho but it is certainly very orangey and gingery, hopefully my next batch will acheive that. Maybe I should look at using orange oil?

Second batch on to ferment today with the amendments listed above, I also added 300g white sugar and 100g brown as the sugar content of the fruit and juice should be around 150g giving total sugar content 550g

I think that you can get away with putting a lot of lemons in as the ginger is so cutting. :thumb: I've got some pics to put up here later of the orange ginger #2. It looks lovely in the DJ at the mo.

Back