'Backsweeten' Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK117

Reaction score
Hi All

I've just put a turbo cider on but I want the finished article to be quite sweet. Can anyone recommend a product to add to the bottle as well as the usual 1 tsp sugar?

Cheers!

Any non-fermentable sweetener. I've only used Morrison's own-brand, which has a bit of maltodextrin which even at the minuscule dose must help with mouthfeel. Splenda is often recommended. If poss, try a few on their own to see which tastes least artificial/chemical to you.
You don't need much - 4tsp/gallon will get you to medium, or medium dry - but that may depend how acid your base juice was.

Any non-fermentable sweetener. You don't need much - 4tsp/gallon will get you to medium, or medium dry - but that may depend how acid your base juice was.

So if bottle priming I take it 1tsp will do? A lot of sweeteners come in little tablets which might be an easy alternative...

Powered is cheaper but best thing to do I have found is to pit some TV in a pint glass and add the sweetener bit by bit to your taste then scale it up for your batch. Adding super will cause it to ferment again but that's ok if you want to carbonate it.

Powered is cheaper but best thing to do I have found is to pit some TV in a pint glass and add the sweetener bit by bit to your taste then scale it up for your batch. Adding super will cause it to ferment again but that's ok if you want to carbonate it.

If you add fermentable sugar even if you are carbonating it, it will just ferment out in the bottle and you will lose all sweetness. You need to use unfermentables unless you are going for still cider in which case you need to kill the yeast with Potasium sorbate and then sweeten.

The easiest thing to do is to use either a flavoured syrup in your glass when you pour or a little apple juice in your glass with the cider.

Latest posts

Back