1 Gallon Apple WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samurailord

Reaction score
This weekend I started a supermarket juice wine based upon Wurzel's recipe, but as both my wife and I are allergic to oranges I used apple juice instead.

I used 1 litre of Asda White Grape and Peach (couldn't get pure white grape juice) and 1 litre of Asda 100% pure apple juice. Being primarily a wine brewer I used German White Wine yeast, but apart from that stuck to the recipe.

After adding 1.5 lb of sugar and mixing the SG was only 1060, so I added more sugar to get to 1080.

Having read about violent first stage ferments with WOW's I left plenty of airspace, and waited for the eruption - which never came!!

A few bubbles trickling through the airlock showed the yeast was active, but nowhere near as much as expected.

When I came down this morning I had about 1/2 inch of bubbles on top of the liquid in the DJ and the airlock was going like a train - over 100 bubbles per minute.

A few minutes later the foam had subsided but the airlock was still going great, and a few minutes later the foam was back.

Never experienced this coming and going of the fermenting head before - it's either there until it finished fermenting or it never really gets one.

Weird.

Anyway - I'm looking to ferment to completion (very dry) and slightly back-sweeten with juice - which would be best to use, more apple or the grape-peach mix, and should they be boiled first? Or should I use simple sugar syrup?

Thanks

Andy

Pic of my WOW after 2 days fermenting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31818591@N03/4439797663/

Not as much activity as others have reported, and the colour is darker then I would have expected from grape and apple juices, but I have seen cloudier wines than that come out crystal clear, so here's hoping :D

If all goes well I will be making a 5 gallon batch for my son's 21st on May 1.

Andy

Hi SL, it could be the peach :wha: that's made the colour difference, otherwise it's just the same as an Easy White recipe. I regularly make 5 galls. It goes down Very well :drunk:

Hi Cussword

I though about the peach being the culprit, but as it is fermenting away nicely I really wasn't that bothered to be honest. I just hope I can get it to clear when the time comes - nothing is more off-putting to someone than being handed a glass of cloudy home brewed wine, no matter how nice it tastes.

The airlock was down to 20/min this morning - looks like I will be racking soon, and drinking fairly soon.:D

Can't wait to try it out - if it is a success I am going to introduce it to my local Wine Circle as a nice 'beginners' wine, and I have a 5L jar waiting at home to be used for my son's 21st.:) Hell, it may get used more than once as I have until May 1 :drunk:

Andy

Do you use a filter? I usually leave it after the first racking to clear, but if I'm in a rush I use a Harris Vinbrite filter with the pads. Comes out clear as a bell :)

Hi Cussword

No, I have never had the need for a filter, so far everything has been bright and clear after adding finings and (just once) a double dose of Kwik-Clear drops.

It is early days as yet - I have seen some really evil-looking brews come out sparkling, to my utter amazement.

One kit had me adding charcoal to the DJ the day before bottling which created an evil-smelling black morass that I thought had no chance of clearing on its own, but next morning there was crystal clear liquid sitting above about an inch of black sludge. Amazing!

Andy

The gas is barely getting through the airlock now, just a few per minute, but it looks like I will have to wait for stage 2 (racking, stabilising and clearing) until Monday as I am away over the weekend.

I shall probably have to back sweeten with more grape juice - can I add this as is, or should it be boiled first?

Damned inconsiderate having a wedding anniversary just when I need to work on my wine :D

I will post again early next week with some pics of the nearly finished article.

Andy

Ok - as of last night my Apple WOW had thrown a light sediment, and was still lightly fizzing away.

Airlock down to 8-10 per minute, SG at 1.002.

Had a taste - WOW! nice and sharp, apple flavour coming through great, but what a kick!!

Tasted very alcoholic - much more than expected - definately a winner here!

Going to stop fermentation tonight and rack into a fresh DJ to clear.

Pics to follow.

Andy

The best laid plans......

Didn't rack off and halt fermentation until today - SG at 0.992

Had a quick taste - a little thinner than before, will deffo need to back sweeten with a little pure apple when bottling, but still very, very nice.

A winner here, methinks.

Andy

Latest posts

Back