Beer from kit -- Boiling water . . . why?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarrowBrew

Reaction score
Hi -- all beer kits I've seen have as step on the instructions:

"Add 3.5 litres of boiling water, top up with cold water to 23 litres".

What's the purpose of boiling the water? Why 3.5L of it?

If boiling the water could be skipped it would make life easier as then I could just pour all my bottled spring water straight into the FV and I then don't have to fear pitching the yeast at too hot a temperature as it would all be room temperature already.

Ta!

Perhaps they calculate that by adding that amount of boiling water and then the cool, the temperature will be around 24' which is usually the ideal for pitching yeast (disclaimer - depending on type and or kit). Plus you'll want fairly hot water to get all the malt extract out.

Yeah, I think it's about dissolving the extract. I usually use one or two kettles full to start with, add some cold up to about 181, then you can add a mixture of hot and chill to get it to the right temperature by the time you hit 23L

Perhaps they calculate that by adding that amount of boiling water and then the cool, the temperature will be around 24' which is usually the ideal for pitching yeast (disclaimer - depending on type and or kit). Plus you'll want fairly hot water to get all the malt extract out.

From a post on another forum

I just sat through Jamil's yeast seminar at NHC. Getting the pitching temp down was one of the most important points he made. He pointed out that most off flavors are produced in the first 72 hours of fermentation. he said the he likes to chill to just below his intended fermentation temp before pitching. My experience is the same. Even if it takes you an hour to get to 62, you're far better off than pitching at 80.

Well he's certainly much more of an expert than I am, I used 24' as from recollection that was what the kits I have done recommended I personally pitch at about 18-20' but then I don't have any temperature control available at the moment so ferment at around 18-22' depending on the house temperature.
Obviously the fermentation reaction itself raises the temperature of the beer, damn I really must get that fermentation fridge sorted!

Latest posts

Back