Pewter tankard

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale

Reaction score
I have a pewter tankard (that I picked up for 10p at a jumble sale. I am still drinking my first batch but have noticed that the three occasions I have used this tankard rather than a glass, that I get a far far better head on my beer. No idea why but wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed this?

I found the answer below which may or may not be a load of rubbish, one thing i did notice in a lot of links is old Pewter contains lead, is your a modern or old tankard?

From my understanding it depends on who and how the mug was made. The metal container has larger pore size and this gives a nucleation site for the carbon dioxide to be liberated from the beer. The gas helps make the head big and foamy but will also cause the beer to go flat faster. It just part of the charm of pewter mugs. On the other hand for those that like cold beer the mug can be chilled and keep the beer cooler for a longer period of time.

Slightly off topic - I believe Dimpled glasses are to make a return (if they haven't already)

170px-British_dimpled_glass_pint_jug_with_ale.jpg

larger glasses have a widget built into them a little design in the bottom of the glass thats helps with the head

they only last so long not sure how long but in pub trade they have a high turn over of glasses so the widgets are ok

You lot remind me of when I was in my mid 20s. My local was at the end of the block and we often used to take beers home with us from the shared house I lived in. One day the landlord said he was getting short of glasses but didn't know why so we said we'd bring some back. Long story short, we took back 170 pint glasses.

we do a lot of custom van shows and usually end up with a party back at our van after the pub and people tend to fetch us glasses from the pub last yer we had 20 glasses left in one night

we do a lot of custom van shows and usually end up with a party back at our van after the pub and people tend to fetch us glasses from the pub last yer we had 20 glasses left in one night

I know what you mean. when we lived in the house I mentioned, if we had a party we could easily get people bringing glasses back and end up with 50 or so in a night (some people brought more than one). The landlord appreciated the business so didn't mind as long as we took them back. I even ended up getting a second job there at one point and ended up having to wash the glasses I'd taken back.

Latest posts

Back