Positively vile...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
So - I bought a book `Home Made Country Wines, beer, mead and metheglin' - tried and tested recipes collected by the Farmers Weekly' and first published in 1955. Well I tried one beer recipe - basically malt extract and hops, in inexact quantities which turned out ok though lacking in hoppines - I guess my 2 small handfuls was smaller than a 1955 two small handfuls!
So then I tried this one - `Hop ale' a recipe supplied by a Mr K Hulme, Manchester.

4 oz dried hops
2 oz dandelion root
2 oz gentian root
3lb dark brown sugar
yeast
6 gallons water

well i halved all the ingredients and followed the instructions - basically boil everything for 2 1/2 hours then let cool and ferment.
Did all that, which left me with 2 gallons of `wort' from the 3 I started with. Great, what did it taste like? So bitter it was unbelievable! Well I fermented it anyway and today got half way through bottling before I thought I'd try a sip - maybe it would have mellowed during fermentation!:lol:
Ha ha ha. So that's gone down the sink then.

Maybe I should have had more sense, but perhaps everyone should try this - at least it would stop people complaining about `homebrew twang'.:lol:

4oz is more like 120g and I've used more than that in some beers. I would gues that the odd taste is coming from some of the more "esoteric" ingredients :)

The hop content seemed not to be outlandish. Dandelion root is also a bittering agent of course. I have a feeling this was always going to be more than a little dodgy but I think where it all went seriously wrong (apart from making it in the first place) was that the gentian root I used was dried rather than fresh. 1 oz of the stuff must be equivalent to an awful lot of the fresh root! And as I found when I googled it, gentian root is the main ingredient of angestura bitters. I guess it's one of the things they'd use in beer making before hops became the norm. Some of these recipes in this book are more than a little vague.:lol:

By the way, it was the same colour as a reasonably dark ale, had reasonable body too, though a bit murky. Just the taste was the problem.

Gentian root is the main ingredient of angestura bitters.

I think that's spot on. I was wracking my brain to why I'd heard of gentian root. Now I'm a fan of Angostura bitters but I think you are right. You need so little bitters in a drink to get the taste. Adding loads of the dried root probably just pushed it right over the edge.

Must brush up on my maths i realise now 3.5 0z is 100g isn't it?
Yeah, around that Mark. Of course 3.5oz of hops in 2 gallons of wort is close on oz in 5 Gallons which by my rough calculations with a 2 hour boil should have produced something like 150IBU . . . So yes you are correct an excessive amount of hops

Latest posts

Back