Brit Hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
Brit Hop
English Pale Ale

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Bitterness (IBU): 44.2 (Average)

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (93.02%)
0.150 kg Caramalt (6.98%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
6.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
6.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
6.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
6.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.5 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Mauribrew Ale 514 / US05

I use this grain combo a lot. And I vary the hops, different English hop combos, American hop combos, English/American combos, and NZ hops are great too.

For an English style beer I like to use EKG, First Gold, Northdown, Challenger, Brewers Gold, Northern Brewer, Bobek, Aurora, Styrian Goldings, Progress.

It's becoming my goto malt bill too. Have one in using Galena and Wakatu, the blackcurrant coming from the FV is intense.

There's a definite citrus which I'm used to now I guess, but the blackcurrant was just so obvious, in a nice way.

Sounds like too very different hop flavours competing with each other. Also sounds like it's working though!

Brit Hop
English Pale Ale

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Bitterness (IBU): 44.2 (Average)

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (93.02%)
0.150 kg Caramalt (6.98%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
6.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
6.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
6.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
6.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g First Gold Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.5 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Mauribrew Ale 514 / US05
I brewed this one Clibit :thumb: as a 19ltr it was fantastic

Did this recipe last night Pretty much as per although I did have an extra bit of pale malt in.. I also for some reason didnt add as much hops in the 80 degree flame out hops mujst have misread but I might do a little dry hop

used my harvested london Ale III yeast OG 1052, looking forward to this one!!

Did this recipe last night Pretty much as per although I did have an extra bit of pale malt in.. I also for some reason didnt add as much hops in the 80 degree flame out hops mujst have misread but I might do a little dry hop

used my harvested london Ale III yeast OG 1052, looking forward to this one!!

Should be lovely with that yeast.

I think the blend of caramalt, Northdown, First Gold and Wyeast 1318 will be really lovely. :thumb:

Ooh interesting. I've just done a brew day today with trusted smoked porter recipe and I'm trying that 1318 yeast on it for the first time. I'm hoping it should give it an even better dimension to the smooth smokey taste.

trying this now only a week in the bottle although carbinated well and its actually pretty clear..

Nice, get some sweetness from the malt at the beginning with teh yeast and hops its a bit fruity which goes into spicy.. nice real nice..

Yeah mix of fruity and spicy is right. The yeast will make a big difference. I need to try 1318.

Yeah mix of fruity and spicy is right. The yeast will make a big difference. I need to try 1318.

I don't have a lot to compare to regarding esthers and such, but like you know its a huge cropper and the krausen is very creamy which I think carries through to the final product it seems very smooth and a little creamy. I have used it on this the greg hughes IPA and a mish mash using left over hops from both, I seem to get a FG of 1015-1017.. I really like it but I may find others which I like more.. I hear ringwood is a great strain to try so when I go for this style again I will perhaps give that a shot.

Yes Ringwood is one to try, and WLP006, which I've used recently and just started drinking the batch. It's nice, and no hassle. I think 006 is seasonal though, I got the end of it I think. 1469 Yorkshire is good. I have 1728 fermenting atm, first time I've used it.

I dare you to try Muntons standard dry yeast, 6g pack - use 2 packs in a full size batch. I was very pleasantly surprised with the Chinook pale, the yeast was great in it, it got drunk super quick. I have put it in my mild I made on Saturday because I want another beer with it asap. I was recommended to try it by two experienced American brewers on another forum:

Rookie » Sun Nov 22
Last month I brewed an English pale ale with Munton's that turned out real good. IMHO this is a very under appreciated yeast.

seymour » Sun Nov 29
I am a big fan of Muntons dry yeast, and I too prefer the cheaper "active brewing yeast" to their more expensive "premium gold yeast". It has a great estery English ale profile, starts fast, finishes fast, drops relatively clear, works well for bottle-conditioning, and leaves behind some rich caramelized sweetness very similar to Fullers, in my opinion. It's a fantastic stand-by, I usually prefer it over Nottingham or S-04, and it's vastly more interesting and flavourful than Wyeast 1056/WLP001/US-05, etc. It's not quite as complex as a big, fresh-from-the-brewery yeast slurry of Fullers, Ringwood, Wibblers, etc, but it's a lot closer than you'd expect.

Latest posts

Back