"Hopping-up" an IPA kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nunny

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I recently brewed an all-grain Jaipur IPA clone (which was fantastic by the way), and in true lazy man mode I wondered if there was a way of adding more hop to a kit?

My thinking was to boil up an appropriate amount of hops in around 10L of water and add to a Festival Razorback IPA as I've heard good things.

I have previously brewed an Evil Dog Double IPA which was very disappointing .... Although the wife said she liked it as it tasted like a premium lager, so I'd like to avoid this result haha. My fave beers are Jaipur and Brewdog Punk IPA.

Any thoughts would be great.

I would stick to AG. You won't get results as good with kits IMO.

Thanks Clibit,

Is this from experience? I'm quite intrigued as to what would happen if I hopped the **** out ofa kit haha.

I shouldprobablyadd that I'm visually impaired and brewing AG takes me a looooooong time, hence wanting to tamper with kits. :-D

If you are boiling 10L anyway why not do an extract brew, you can even liquor back (I think thats the term) ie add water to 23L at the end. I think you need slightly more hops if you use this method.

Thanks Simon,

If I had a 23L stock-pot I was thinking of boiling 20L water and adding 60g of chinook and citra hops over an hour long boil in order to makes hop infusion, then add this hopped water to the wort of the Razorback IPA. Might sound a bit crazy, but I'd love to know if anyone has tried it and what the results were.

:-)

Think i agree with Simon, an extract brew is probably the best way for you to maximize the quality of your beer without the hassle of AG.

I wouldn't just boil hops in water. Add some malt extract. But you may as well leave the kit out and make an extract brew.

I must give extract brewing a go actually .... It's on the "to do" list :-)

I do extract brews mostly with about 4L of boiled wort, about 50g-100g of hops when wort is a rolling boil I chuck em in and boil for 15 mins rest wort a bit 5-15 mins usually, then pour wort thru a strainer into a fv and pour superchilled bottled water into the fv to dilute to around 21 liters.

same amount of dry hops added 3-5 days before bottling. Works for me but difficult to get a lighter coloured beer that way. Doctormick's had one of my samples perhaps he could give you independent feedback on how that turned out?

Brewing a smaller amount in a larger pot would give you more head space to guard against boil-overs which may it easier to brew with your impairment than using other methods. As my boil is only 15 mins I just stay with it.

Cheers guys,

Really appreciate the tips - you've given me ideas now! Haha. Actually I have a Wherry kit that I might tamper with.

Can't wait to get an IPA on the go now :-) then I can compare to my AG Jaipur clone.

Upon doing a bit of research it's seems common to add 6lb of liquid malt extract to about 3lbs of malt grains (obviously depending on recipe).
I was considering 3lbs liquid malt, 3lb maris otter, 250g Vienna,and using a good helping of chinook, cascade and citra hops, and a kilo of dme.

Feel free to signpost me to an awesome recipe.

Latest posts

Back