Hello HBF!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickwaldron

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just joined after lurking round here for a while. Only been home brewing for a few months and around 4 brews in. any suggestions on which 'premium' kits are the best? After a recent disaster with Young's APA kit :cry: i want to try a couple more kits like festival or Bulldog. Any help would be gratefully received. Going to start using star san as well, hopefully i will avoid any more spoiled brews.

Thanks guys sorry probably the wrong terminology to use, by premium i meant the 2 can or 3 kg kits like American ales, bulldog, festival and their ilk, rather then the 1 can kits, though my best result so far has been a black rock bock 1 can kit with 1kg brewing sugar and 500g of dark spray malt. interested in trying to do few more hoppy beers.

I can't fault the Brupaks microbrewery series of ales for a great premium kit. But wait click hisss hissss click "I find your lack of faith in the mash tun disturbing" I hear Darth Clibit closing in.

But beware. Grain, hops, muslin bags. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Nick... Nick... do not... do not underestimate the powers of @Clibit or suffer most of our fate you will :evil:

Oh, and welcome Nick, great bunch of people on here :D

Ah - the smell of the grain does draw you near - mesmerised will you be by the addition of hops to your recipe...

This is def the right place for me with the amount of star wars quotes going on here! All grain is def planned for the future but don't think my 1 bed flat will accommodate it! Been browsing the-home-brew-shop and considering a razorback IPA and something else. My last brew (young's APA) went so badly wrong i'm a little gun shy of my next brew...

Hey Nick, from one Newby to another - Welcome!

I'm in the middle of brewing a Razorback right now. Just transferred it to a secondary FV for clearing before batch priming and bottling (probably next weekend). Been pretty straight forward after taking in the advice on here.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

cheers SiWHU, seen a few youtube vids of it being brewed and looks pretty similar to the APA i did, hopefully this one wouldn't go funky on me! Might try one of the bulldog kits as well, as i like a strong brew, but reviews seem pretty mixed on them.

Lol, fantastic, what a laugh that gave me! Hope he stops bye :rofl:
There's some mileage in this one..

'May the wort be with you'

'The Empire strikes temperature'

'The counterflow chiller has gone into overdrive'

'The mash is Chewie'

And could we recycle R2D2 - about the right size for a 40 pint brew....

My last brew (young's APA) went so badly wrong i'm a little gun shy of my next brew...

Nick - Welcome.
What went wrong with your Youngs APA kit?
I have one of these these to do later, and although the Youngs AIPA I did was a bit of a faff - I hadn't expected the 'exuberant' first part of the primary :-o - it turned out well in the end.

all went ok for the first couple weeks, my ferment went crazy too. never had yeast create that level of krausen on top before, then came to last few days of fermenting, so added the hops, and that where everything went wrong. Put in the supplied hop pellets at the recommended SG, came back a few days later and there was a definite 'funk' that hadn't been there before, and not the smell of hops. Decided to leave it a couple days more and found what i can only describe as gunk floating on the top of the beer, smelled awful and tasted worse. Did contact Youngs as i wonder if i should have made a hot hop tea, as i'm pretty sure just adding the pellets in from packer did for the beer. Their customer service weren't much help and sent me back a narky email.

all went ok for the first couple weeks, my ferment went crazy too. never had yeast create that level of krausen on top before, then came to last few days of fermenting, so added the hops, and that where everything went wrong. Put in the supplied hop pellets at the recommended SG, came back a few days later and there was a definite 'funk' that hadn't been there before, and not the smell of hops. Decided to leave it a couple days more and found what i can only describe as gunk floating on the top of the beer, smelled awful and tasted worse. Did contact Youngs as i wonder if i should have made a hot hop tea, as i'm pretty sure just adding the pellets in from packer did for the beer. Their customer service weren't much help and sent me back a narky email.

MMmm. I've never dry hopped myself. I sometimes read posts that say you wont get an infection from dry hopping as hops have natrual antibacterial properties. But then I read posts like yours. :hmm:

Back