New brew fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to give some real techy answer here however I plugged it in, plugged in the heater, plugged in the fridge and set a temp...

I haven't done anything further. I didn't realise you had to change settings or calibrate? I just assumed it was plug and play?

Appears to have done the trick, except when it's really cold then it struggles to heat up all the way unless it's set higher.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'd love to give some real techy answer here however I plugged it in, plugged in the heater, plugged in the fridge and set a temp...

I haven't done anything further. I didn't realise you had to change settings or calibrate? I just assumed it was plug and play?

Appears to have done the trick, except when it's really cold then it struggles to heat up all the way unless it's set higher.

Thanks, Alan. Seems like the default settings have done the trick for you, which is great.
From what I have gathered so far - although it won't matter so much at this time of year - is that the compressor delay (PT) needs some care. I believe the default is 3 minutes though a variety of people suggest setting it up to 10 minutes to prolong the life of the fridge compressor. All academic to me at the moment since I am still waiting for my Amazon delivery.

Good thread this, got all my bits together so may get the brewfridge/inkbird setup tomorrow, and brew on Sunday. Also got a TT Landlordish Clone to bottle. Roll on the weekend !

It's worth calibrating the inkbird, just see what temp it is reporting then stick a (sanitised) thermometer in to your brew and see what the difference is. My STC-1000 was only 0.3c out but I know others have had bigger differences and it is really easy to correct if it is out.

It's worth calibrating the inkbird, just see what temp it is reporting then stick a (sanitised) thermometer in to your brew and see what the difference is. My STC-1000 was only 0.3c out but I know others have had bigger differences and it is really easy to correct if it is out.

The first STC i have is spot on temp wise thats if my stick thermometer is correct. The 2nd one i bought up was 2c out. I swapped the sensor and it was spot on again.

The first STC i have is spot on temp wise thats if my stick thermometer is correct. The 2nd one i bought up was 2c out. I swapped the sensor and it was spot on again.
There was no discrepancy either with my Inkbird ITC-308 that arrived recently. Stick thermometer matched the Inkbird display.

Question... do you stick the inkbird thermometer in the brew or tape to the side?

Question... do you stick the inkbird thermometer in the brew or tape to the side?

Yes, I tape the sensor to the side with a layer of bubble wrap on top, so that the temperature reading is from the FV rather than the air in the brew fridge. There are several articles about this, one quite scientific in that it analysed various alternatives for the sensor position. Think it was:
Hanging in the brew fridge air;
Immersed in the fermenting brew;
Taped to the side and insulated.

The conclusion was that the latter was best.

I use the handle of the FV to trap a kitchen sponge (with a cut-out to take the sensor) against the side of the FV.

It keeps the sensor against the side of the FV, insulates if from the air in the fridge and is easily installed, without the mess that duct tape adhesive can leave behind.

Using a sponge isn't my own idea (saw it on another Thread) but one thing I learned is that a "used" sponge is a waste of time because it shrinks and curls up as it dries out ... :nono: :nono:

... whereas a new sponge just stays as it is. :thumb:

Back