Greg Hughes single hop East Kent Goldingps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This beer is really nice, the EKG is a really good hop without being overly bitter or in your face. Quite a sweet background with a smooth malty mouth feel. This hop really works in this recipe. Another great beer Greg!

I brewed a couple of these when I started doing AG. Have to say I found it a bit nondescript and boring so won't be doing it again. Don't get me wrong, it was ok, just nothing special.
On the other hand my default brew which I come back to time and again is a slightly modified version of Greg hughes' Northern Brown Ale. Absolutely gorgeous, as well as being relatively cheap as it uses so little hops, but is still surprisingly bitter for a brown ale. Lovely earthy flavours from the hops.

You are right but there seems to be a convention on here not to publish people's recipes from books as it is unfair on the authors. I just wanted to let people know that the recipes in the book are good.

Ok. :thumb:

I brewed a couple of these when I started doing AG. Have to say I found it a bit nondescript and boring so won't be doing it again. Don't get me wrong, it was ok, just nothing special.
On the other hand my default brew which I come back to time and again is a slightly modified version of Greg hughes' Northern Brown Ale. Absolutely gorgeous, as well as being relatively cheap as it uses so little hops, but is still surprisingly bitter for a brown ale. Lovely earthy flavours from the hops.

After a about five weeks in the bottle I think I tend to agree with you. Whilst I love EKG as an aroma hop, as the main event on its own in this beer it's ok but nothing spectacular. I think from the book I really like the American single hop beers, like the Amarillo (my favourite) and cascade.

Back