Easiest Mash Tun Ever

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy1965

Landlord.
Reaction score
No blockages, only looses 1oC over 60 mins, stipped and cleaned in 2 mins.

001.jpg

003.jpg

I just read this article by JapanBrew http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60396
And it will have you thinking that anywhere from 55° to 72° is an acceptable mash range, so maybe there's massive room for temperate losses and we worry too much.

Yes and no. JMHO I think that many HBers worry too much about too many variables. Getting the most value for money from your ingredients is v. important, but not the end of the world. To me, brewing is not a exact science

To me, brewing is not a exact science

I think it's up to the individual how much of an exact science they want it to be. If you just want to make "beer", then you don't have to worry about everything being precise. However, if you want to be able to replicate styles exactly and reproduce something that you have already done before, THEN it does need to become an exact science.

Finally getting ready to do my brew Wednesday next week. Thought my upgrade to all grain was only going to cost me £30 until I realised I needed a container to catch the sparge run-off! Doh!

What efficiency did you achieve?

Planning to mash for an hour with 73C strike water aiming for 68C mash temp. I'll check for complete conversion with Iodine then do a continuous sparge at 0.5l/min run-off until I've a full pre-boil volume or runnings hit 1.008 S.G.

Any chance of there being enough space between the buckets for a kettle element. Might be easier to heat the water in it perhaps?

Finally getting ready to do my brew Wednesday next week. Thought my upgrade to all grain was only going to cost me �£30 until I realised I needed a container to catch the sparge run-off! Doh!

What efficiency did you achieve?

Planning to mash for an hour with 73C strike water aiming for 68C mash temp. I'll check for complete conversion with Iodine then do a continuous sparge at 0.5l/min run-off until I've a full pre-boil volume or runnings hit 1.008 S.G.

Why do you need another vessel for the sparge ??
I sparge in to my FV, then transfer this to the boiler.
The FV then becomes available for the boiled wort an hour later.

Why do you need another vessel for the sparge ??
I sparge in to my FV, then transfer this to the boiler.
The FV then becomes available for the boiled wort an hour later.

I guess you steralise it in this hour.

If its as easy as this makes it sound, is there any benefit in getting a grainmaster or similar to getting a boiler and doing BIAB????

Mas Tun in action

What are you straining it through there? Is that to remove fines passing through the bucket holes?

I think this one step missing from my process. I've got too many fines in my boil from the mash and it all ends up in the fermentor at the end causing wastage.

Latest posts

Back