All Grain Mashing Course

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would have been a long way for me too but I family down there so I lined it up with a visit.

I live reasonably close to aldershot and toyed with the idea of this course, but never really got round to it. I don't think not going on it has held me back, though.

If you're looking to get into ag, the best route in is still clibit's thread. Get a low tech understanding of what's going on, then build from there.

@clibit. Dude you should be charging for that info, you'd be retired by now...

I live reasonably close to aldershot and toyed with the idea of this course, but never really got round to it. I don't think not going on it has held me back, though.

If you're looking to get into ag, the best route in is still clibit's thread. Get a low tech understanding of what's going on, then build from there.

@clibit. Dude you should be charging for that info, you'd be retired by now...

Whilst I applaud (massively) that particular thread, and clibit's fantastic knowledge, I am sure there are plenty out there like me - I can read a book until I can quote it verbatim, and still not know what I'm talking about. Show me how to do it once, I will conquer it in minutes.

you're right manse, but Id still argue that following clibits thread is still the best way to start. Here's my rationale...

In conquering any new task, there are three possible levels of learning:
1) being told what to do (essentially clibits thread)
2) being shown what to do (the mashing course)
3) doing it yourself (having a go)

Really what you're trying to do with 1) and 2) is get to 3). If you don't get to 3 it's all literally academic. Being shown is more effective than being told, unquestionably.

But you have to take into account the complexity, and investment required to implement what you're being told (1) or shown (2).

for most people, I'd propose that following clibits thread, is a lot less complex and needs a much lower investment than going on a mashing course which includes understanding corny kegs and three vessel systems. Which are great, but not necessary to get into ag brewing, and I would suggest are 'in at the deep end'.

Clibits thread is SO simple to follow, and requires such little investment in kit, time, money, that it's a far better place to start.

My opinion...but hopefully one that will save complete newbies (as I was) a few quid.

And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the course being discussed. I'm sure it's great. I just think there are simpler first steps

I have been a teacher/instructor/ course validator/writer for decades. What it all boils down to is this. 'I do it normal, I do it slow, we do it together, and off we go'. No reading, I hold your hand, I take you through the tunnel, you enter the light.

I agree, as I said before, clibit's approach is brilliant. But, if you can't light a burner, you're f***ed, or realise you are not going to get a 6kw element running off your garage ring, then you are heading for a fall.. So, the point I'm trying to make is, let people learn, ask, choose and not be 'shoe horned', and 'apologies' - not always take the 'clibit way'.

Has anybody been on the all grain mashing course, run by the home brew shop in Aldershot, and would you recommend it?

http://the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Mashing_Course.html#.VtHi2sei3LR

I've made a few AG brews recently using a burco boiler, BIAB, recipes from the Greg Hughes book.

Yes and yes must be a few years ago now so don't remember much but I read about brewing for months but never really worked out how to do it after seeing it done it was all so simple.

But you don't need a 6 kw element or anything else you might struggle with, using the method I outlined. It was deliberately designed to require no skills or equipment that people wouldn't have or be able to buy easily and cheaply. It's not the only way into brewing all grain, obviously, but it's a simple method that anybody can read, follow and succeed with, and many people will already have all the equipment needed. As Gareth says, you can have a crack, learn the process, and then acquire bigger and better equipment if you wish. I am actually going to start delivering workshops using this method pretty soon. Longer term doing courses that focus in on different aspects of brewing, beer styles and ingredients etc, and equipment.

I've been a teacher, instructor, writer, assessor for decades too, strangely!

I think we're all furiously agreeing with each other. If you want to get into the heavy lifting the course is going to be your way in. If you're after easy, low commitment entry, the thread is a winner.

I think it's horses for courses and depends what you want to achieve. Clibit's method works a treat and is a perfect solution for someone who fancies having a go, but is nervous about investment in equipment without knowing what to expect from the end result. His method is a way of illustrating what you can achieve at home without any equipment; most people will already have a biggish stockpot and a sieve.

As the method is on a very small scale, if you want to be getting 40 pint batches, then obviously you'd need to look at what equipment you need to aquire. The method is perhaps not practical for much bigger than a 10 litre batch. However, the purpose of the tutorial (I believe) is to show how good a beer you can make at home. Once you have done this, then you can "spec-up" to your heart's content.

Using myself as an example; I've only just done my second AG brew yesterday. The first was a 5 litre, I enjoyed doing it and it gave me an insight into the basics. Because I enjoyed it, I got a bigger pan and did another one. I enjoyed that too and I know I want to continue brewing, so now I'm thinking about 'speccing up' and making a mash tun with a cool box. Also, because I've been bitten by the bug, now I WOULD be interested in something like one of these courses.

The point I'm trying to make amongst the rambling, is that I think different approaches and different routes into AG brewing are essential. Someone who has been making kits or extract brewing for a while and wants to move to AG is maybe best going straight into a course about it. That person is probably already conditioned into making batches of 40 pints and will want to continue that, so Clibit's method of making 10-20 pints with quite a bit of effort is maybe not for them. But for someone who is starting from scratch and has read up a bit, but is maybe a bit daunted by sound of it all, this method is perfect.

I did the full 9 week Brewlab course last summer and although it is essentially aimed at starting your own microbrewery the technique is the same as MM indicates. there is lots of theory (book learnin) and lots of practical demonstration, brewing,mashing,bottling,kegging,microscope, yeast counts, analysis, taste testing, hygene and so on and then you get to do them all yourself whilst supervised and graded.I think that the way the is course, and others such as the mashing course, is delivered with demonstration and then practice followed by grading is essential rather than just book learning or hearsay.

We brewed every week and visited a micro at least once sometimes twice a week again with knowledge passed on from the brewer.

I had thought myself of putting together a ring bound "teach yourself brewing! with photos of equipment and step by step for new beginners and then I realised , that's what we do here very well! It's great to get the knowledge from those that have actually "done it"such as Clibbit, MM and many more rather than just articles from internet quoting how to do it, these are just a staring point, not proven practise for me.

But you don't need a 6 kw element or anything else you might struggle with, using the method I outlined. It was deliberately designed to require no skills or equipment that people wouldn't have or be able to buy easily and cheaply. It's not the only way into brewing all grain, obviously, but it's a simple method that anybody can read, follow and succeed with, and many people will already have all the equipment needed. As Gareth says, you can have a crack, learn the process, and then acquire bigger and better equipment if you wish. I am actually going to start delivering workshops using this method pretty soon. Longer term doing courses that focus in on different aspects of brewing, beer styles and ingredients etc, and equipment.

I've been a teacher, instructor, writer, assessor for decades too, strangely!

I agree with ghw, we are all furiously agreeing! My point is, not everybody can 'read, follow and succeed'. Perhaps my example of the 6kW element was not appropriate, but I stand by the fact, and it is a fact, that there are those for whom a picture, or the simple act of doing, paints a thousand words, and the thousand words make no sense to them.

Very interested in your workshop idea - how long before it's up and running?!!

I understand Manse and agree, just saying I stripped it right down into a form that would exclude as few people as possible. There was a link to a video included but it disappeared. And I can't edit the post now.

Not sure of start date yet, negotiating with places, shouldn't be too long. Will only be occasional. Doing a festival in September.

@Clibit Where are you going to be hosting your courses? In or around Manchester I'm guessing? That's ideal for me. Will you be offering a forum discount :lol:

Could you give me details when you have anything confirmed?

Latest posts

Back