Turbo Cider Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownie83

Reaction score
I know - another thread on turbo cider but having read all the others I can't find an answer to my question.

Started my first ever TC off yesterday - 3.5l of pure apple juice, 50g of sugar 1 sachet of yeast and a tad of yeast nutrient.

OG of 1050, checked it last night and there was a bit of activity and a bit of a froth, checfed it again tonight and bubbles are flying through the air lock - all good but there was no froth!!

What struck me though was the colour - it had gone from a "appley" golden brownish colour yesterday to a yellow / orange colour. It looks like a propper old school scrumpy just wanted to see if the colour and the lack of froth was a normal occurance?

Brownie mate, the colour is normal. once its finished fementing it will go back to the apple juice colour. As for the lack of froth, well ive only ever made 2 batches of TC and both of those almost came through the air lock.

So do you think the lack of a froth will be detremental to the brew?

Surely it is fermenting well enough given the amount of activity through the air lock?

Brownie83 said:
So do you think the lack of a froth will be detremental to the brew?

Surely it is fermenting well enough given the amount of activity through the air lock?

Dont worry about the lack of froth. Ive got a couple og galons of ribena wine on the go and there isnt any froth on either of them, but im getting about 30 bubbles a minute through the air lock.

made my first apple cider in a 5 ltr PET jug, was bubbling like mad and got clearer,bottled it yesterday after 10 days as far as i remember, I'vve since made a pear and blackcurrant TC although there is a huge thick bit of 'yuch' at the top, its still bubbling away after a week but i think it looks infected, heres some pics, what do you think?
26072010198.jpg

26072010197.jpg

26072010196.jpg

Pear and black looks absolutely normal to me, its just pulp and yeast forming a float.

A fair few of my wines have gone through this stage, it'll all drop out once the ferment finishes.

the turbo cider above is still bubbling every now and then but the pulp at the top is still there? do you still think it looks ok? im sure thats been a good 10-12 days its been in the jug.
anyone think its infected yet? if its not how would i go about bottling with all that pulp in the way ?

:thumb: Looks completely normal. Juice wines can be like that. Just rack/syphon off into a clean vessel before bottling.

I have a question as well, rather than start another thread :D
I put on my first ever brew on wednesday 4th, 1 gallon batch in a DJ, O.G reading 1040. Everything went well and yesterday i noticed the airlock has stopped bubbling. I took a reading and its now down to 1.000.

My question is what do i do now? Do i leave it to clear for a few more days, im new at this so any advice would be appreciated.

Samarith said:
I'd leave it a few days, rack into a clean DJ then bottle using 1tsp sugar per litre
Thanks Samarith, i shall leave it in the DJ untill wednesday then rack as you suggest.

Back