Several Brewdays Later....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doglaner

Reaction score
Hello,

Well it's been a while since I posted on here, but I've done several full-size AG brews since April, and all have worked wonderfully well.

A Greg Hughes summer ale to start with, in April. A basic English bitter. Called Chris's Summer Ale after my brother who helped brew. It's caused much argument over the appropriate use of an apostrophe.

The next, in May, was called Indian Summer, and was just MO Pale Malt and had Chinook, Cascade and Amarillo hops in it. Very hoppy, aromatic and citrussy. My lager drinking pals especially liked it.

Then came a Chinook SMaSH which was rich and unctuous, and given that it was only two ingredients it has come out amazingly well. Thoroughly recommended.

Finally the last brew was a usey-uppey based on a selection of malts, and the large amounts of Fuggles, Goldings and a bit of challenger. A good best bitter for a trip to Edinburgh in late August for a school mates reunion. Basic but delicious.

So, that's 5 full-size AG brews down, and this time last year I'd only just done my first AG stove-topper.

If you have any doubts whatsoever about doing AG, then dismiss them. The Chinook SMaSH in particular is one of the best beers I've ever had. And not just me, either, according to my generous friends.

That's it. A very cut down version with new detail but much enthusiasm.

Dog.

Like the Post ... :thumb: :thumb:

... and the conundrum. :lol:

I think you will find that it should read "Chris' Brew" the one you chose is an apostrophe that replaces a vowel and therefore reads "Chris is Brew". It could be used as in something like "Chris's handsome".

However, I may be very, very wrong because when I was presented with my GCE "O" Level English result back in 1959 the Head Master said "You got what you deserved.".

I immediately assumed that I had failed and was amazed to discover that I had passed; but only just! :whistle:

Like the Post ... :thumb: :thumb:

... and the conundrum. :lol:

I think you will find that it should read "Chris' Brew" the one you chose is an apostrophe that replaces a vowel and therefore reads "Chris is Brew". It could be used as in something like "Chris's handsome".

However, I may be very, very wrong because when I was presented with my GCE "O" Level English result back in 1959 the Head Master said "You got what you deserved.".

I immediately assumed that I had failed and was amazed to discover that I had passed; but only just! :whistle:

There are many extraneous or missing apostrophes on this forum, which can make it hard going for a pedant like me :whistle:, but this isn't one of them. It can be Chris' or Chris's but I prefer the later.

Both mean belonging to Chris. If it was David's or Peter's it wouldn't mean David is or Peter is any more than Chris is. There, back in my cage now...

There are many extraneous or missing apostrophes on this forum, which can make it hard going for a pedant like me :whistle:, but this isn't one of them. It can be Chris' or Chris's but I prefer the later.

Both mean belonging to Chris. If it was David's or Peter's it wouldn't mean David is or Peter is any more than Chris is. There, back in my cage now...

To a pedant like me I prefer "the latter" rather than "the later" ... :lol::lol::lol:

... which is why I just grind my teeth and know that I do the same (especially with predictive text)! :thumb: :thumb:

Context is everything.

David's here
David's watch

Chris' brew

Potatoe's (my favourite)

Join the AAAAA (Association for the Abolition of the Absent and the Aberrant Apostrophe)
Copyright Keith Waterhouse
http://www.writersandeditors.com/blog.htm?post=631948

Then came a Chinook SMaSH which was rich and unctuous, and given that it was only two ingredients it has come out amazingly well. Thoroughly recommended.

If you have any doubts whatsoever about doing AG, then dismiss them. The Chinook SMaSH in particular is one of the best beers I've ever had. And not just me, either, according to my generous friends.

Got to agree with all of this. I've done a similar amount of AG brews but the Chinook SMaSH is by far the best. I just love the Chinook hop

Hmmmm, don't know if grammatically correct but when I am talking or writing about someone I would always expand. But when talking about their possessions I would always contract.

For instance. "Where is Chris" "Chris is over there"

"Who's beer is over there?" "Oh, that's Chris's."

Who cares anyway. Beer. That is all.

Ha! Love it!

My brother Chris reckons the apostrophe should precede a second "s".

I think the apostrophe should be at the end after the first "s".

I designed, printed and applied the labels, so therefore I win.

That's logick, that are.

Back