1st fruit juice brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also caught the bug. Bought a strawberry wine kit initially and looked good so moved onto rhubarb and ginger. Reading was 1.10 and bubbling nicely. Started on banana (what a job to strain), plum / bramble and saki. Getting a bit carried away!

I have thought about making wine with real fruit many times but i am bone idle and buy the juice in, have a look at this thread if you haven't already seen it -

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Banana sounds tasty, I'm keeping to fruit juices for a while to build up some stock then I might venture into fruits.

I've went from 1 demijohn to 6 and a 23l fermenting bucket in the space of 2 weeks lol. Yep it's addictive

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

6cc527fe4539f0b3eb9a79af9dc482e4.jpg

Wine came out quite nice although I've learned one or 2 things.

I need a wine wand and drill. Shaking the gas out of a demijohn isn't fun or very effective.

Il.let the next one run longer and back sweeten using apple juice.

That is the beauty of these juice wines you can mess about until you find the perfect combination and even the ones that are not great are still drinkable, i even managed to finish the original orange wine which was a bit :sick: to be honest.

Thanks to your help chippy and lots of posts on the forums I've got the confidence to put on a 7 gallon version of this in a large fermenting vessel.

This will provide me with a few month supply and free up the demijohns to get a bit more experimental.

Glad I found the forum. :)

Decided to crack a bottle open tonight while at the computer editing some pictures.

First impressions are that it's easy drinking but still a tiny bit cloudy and has some gas still in it, but I'm happy that i'm drinking my own and not shop bought stuff.

Next purchase is a variable speed drill and a wine wand, oh and a new fermenting vessel to rack my current brew into :)

HH9B1791.jpg

I started with a couple of DJ's from charity shops and 5 litre water bottles with a hole drilled in the lid for airlocks, i have over time replaced the water bottles with DJ's most of which were from charity shops or adverts in my local paper so for me it was a fairly cheap set up.

I started with a couple of DJ's from charity shops and 5 litre water bottles with a hole drilled in the lid for airlocks, i have over time replaced the water bottles with DJ's most of which were from charity shops or adverts in my local paper so for me it was a fairly cheap set up.

I picked up all my stuff from gumtree, 6 demijohns, a 33 litre FV and 54 500ml PET bottles, all for less than £50. Those will last a lifetime if taken care of properly and i'm looking forward to having a stash of drinkable fruit juice wine so i can experiment with some TC. I don't think I've the patience to wait on proper country wines though.

I picked up all my stuff from gumtree, 6 demijohns, a 33 litre FV and 54 500ml PET bottles, all for less than �£50. Those will last a lifetime if taken care of properly and i'm looking forward to having a stash of drinkable fruit juice wine so i can experiment with some TC. I don't think I've the patience to wait on proper country wines though.

If you buy just 2 bottles of wine a month, even just at two for a tenner in a shop deal, thats £120 a year, the duty on that alone is almost £50.00 before VAT. With a WoW costing around 60-80p those 2 dozen bottles will be costing you under £24 plus your £50 outlay on equipment and maybe another £10-20 on cleaner/sanitisers, your still better of and thats just at 24 bottles.

Definitely Chewie, I see the financial side of this as a benefit and so much more fun than picking up a bottle from a store.

I went and bought a drill today and fashioned a basic wine wand. How do I tell when the wine is degassed properly ?

Its a bit of guess work to be honest i do it for a few seconds in one direction then a few in the opposite for about a minute.

I've done each of them for at least 3 or 4 minutes. I thought I could tell by the bubbles. Anyways Part A of kwick clear has been added. Hopefully have clear wine in 48 hours.

I have a drill degasser with 2 small plastic pegs but not happy with it. Only way i get that sort of bubbling is if I go too fast - create a vortex that goes all the way to the blades and then it aerates. Have ordered the one with the green nylon filament from USA. In meantime went back to shaking the DJ which looked more effective.

Latest posts

Back