1st Cider for 40 years

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well eventally my poxy tree delivered some apples this year. 10kg just enough for 2 gallons. No longer have access to a press or mangle, removed pips and stalk to reduce hangover effect from potassium cynide in pips. Then blended pulp in juicer with some water in each batch, took 6 hours to physically squeeze out juice from pulp using a pillowcase, threw 2 camdens in into juice in bucket while working to reduce bacterical contamination. Eventually finished chucked in 3 tea bag tea 300ml plus an additional 2 camdens, og was only 1035 may have been a little more due to temp', added 300g of dissolved sugar which brought upto 1060. Added 2tsp of pectolase, I'll leave overnight and added cider yeast tomorow.

Well eventally my poxy tree delivered some apples this year. 10kg just enough for 2 gallons. No longer have access to a press or mangle, removed pips and stalk to reduce hangover effect from potassium cynide in pips. Then blended pulp in juicer with some water in each batch, took 6 hours to physically squeeze out juice from pulp using a pillowcase, threw 2 camdens in into juice in bucket while working to reduce bacterical contamination. Eventually finished chucked in 3 tea bag tea 300ml plus an additional 2 camdens, og was only 1035 may have been a little more due to temp', added 300g of dissolved sugar which brought upto 1060. Added 2tsp of pectolase, I'll leave overnight and added cider yeast tomorow.

Which yeast are you going to use?

I always go for a EC-1118 it's a champagne yeast that powers through sugars and never fails !

Last edited:
Muntons GV13, could add ec-1118 have a few packs or have ec-116 too, might even use up pack of harris yeast. Not keen on quick ferment, but cider yeast isn't any good for anything else planned for this year.

Added gv13, yesterday and started fermenting, can only tell from smell as there's a hole in my bucket.

Yesterday had a eggy smell coming from fv, oh typical - luckily had this conversation the other day on here about such, so added 2 heaped tsp of nutrient (didn't add any initially) smell dissapated from room, then stirred with a copper utensil, seems ok. So there's a big difference between stressed yeast smell and hydrogen sulphide production from bacteria.

Tested this at 6am gave a reading of 1008 added tsp of nutrient, 8 hours later 1003. Hopefully will be done in the morning added another tsp of nutrient. Not sure GV13 is particularly great at very strong ciders, seems very stressed, so stressed I was thinkinig of commiting it yesterday..lol

In future will use a suitable wine yeast that can handle the abv.

Was still at 1003, added 2 camdens and K.Sorbate, currently cold crashing as well in shed fridge. Will rack tommorow.

Racked on 21st, added another 2 camdens and finnings, left until 25th and bottled 9 ltrs, last ltr cloudy hmmm. Tastes good, inital taste is malic bitter might not improve due to camden use, but drinkable.

Latest posts

Back