Bottling - glass or PET plastic?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
I want to start bottling but haven't yet got the bottles. I was going to get Cooper's PET plastic bottles, which are cheap enough at Wilko's, but have read some reviews that say they are not all airtight and that CO2 can escape from the bottle resulting in flat beer.

I can obviously collect the glass bottles, but would then have to invest in a decent capper and have the faff of capping 40 bottles every time I brew.

What are your experiences with glass vs plastic?

Both are fine never had a problem with the coopers ones leaking and they have an advantage you can squeeze it to see how hard/carbonated it is. I have both but always seem to use glass but never thought about why. Tightening that many screw caps no better or worse bad than capping in my opinion.

When I started back a few months ago I gathered pop bottles then at Tesco I found they had still water in packs of six clear PET bottles at 95 pence.Bought 8 packs and used the water to brew.Also collected glass 500ml bottles from my bought brew's bought a capper and caps then invested in Killer swing top 40 off from the Home brew company Ireland and the irony of it all is I've found no difference in the tasting of the beer just a difference in cleaning as you can't put the swingtops in an aggressive sterilising solution as it attacks the chrome plating.So it's down to experience,cost and preference...🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21

I use both. Screw caps rip my hands to shreds as I desperately try to screw them as right as humanly possible so no less of a hassle than glass IMO.

However, and this may be psychological, the beer tastes better from the glass bottles. These days I only do 3 or 4 PET bottles per batch, mainly to test the carbonation.

ive got 5 boxes of plastic bottles and they're great but they do shred your hands tightening up the lids, on the other hand I like how the crimped base holds onto the sediment, i can pour virtually all the contents into the glass.
I do prefer glass though for some reason it just feels more finished bottled in glass, I've got swing tops and crown capped, either have their pros and cons. I finding myself putting stronger ale that needs more conditioning in glass, and session ale I'm going to drink relatively quickly in the plastic.
A couple of boxes of Coopers bottles are a good quick fix though, especially if you brew too much like me!

I've used 1 litre pet bottles for yonks and get them off my missus as she drinks lots of supermarket soda water,what I like about them is you can fill them up and squeeze the O2 out as you cap them so no contamination and they keep more or less indefinitely, but only use each one once then chuck

I saved loads of ale bottles and bought a bench capper. Other essential bits are a bottle tree and bottling wand. Cheap crown caps from wilko. With all this bottling is easy. I bulk prime too.

Cheers

Clint

Thanks all for your help. I can't pretend to be any clearer on which route to take after that, but it's certainly given me food for thought. I think I'll ask a few friends to save their glass bottles for me anyway, so at least I have those and I can then make a decision.

I know what people mean about tasting better from glass though - I'm exactly the same with shop-bought bottles and cans - beer never tastes as good out of a can IMO.

Hi GhostShip,just to say I was in the supermarket looking for a fine selection of beers and the ironic thing is there was a bottle of Ale with the name Ghost Ship on the label.:cheers:

Ghost ship..jpg

Hey GhostShip,
I'm in Cambridge too and have 40 brand new PET bottles and caps that I got as part of a batch lot off ebay. I don't need them so if you want them send me a PM and you can have them for free. :thumb:

I want to start bottling but haven't yet got the bottles. I was going to get Cooper's PET plastic bottles, which are cheap enough at Wilko's, but have read some reviews that say they are not all airtight and that CO2 can escape from the bottle resulting in flat beer.

I can obviously collect the glass bottles, but would then have to invest in a decent capper and have the faff of capping 40 bottles every time I brew.

What are your experiences with glass vs plastic?

Hey GhostShip,
I'm in Cambridge too and have 40 brand new PET bottles and caps that I got as part of a batch lot off ebay. I don't need them so if you want them send me a PM and you can have them for free. :thumb:

Wow! That's really good of you - thank you. PM sent.

I'm just really starting out but i see the weight advantages to pet bottles instead of glass.

I'm just really starting out but i see the weight advantages to pet bottles instead of glass.

For me PET all he way. Reason being that I'm lazy. To wash them I chuck them all in the bath with sterilising solution in it. I mix them around and churn them about to make sure they are full, leave them to soak and use a bottle brush. If I treated glass bottles like my bath would be full of smashed bottles.

Hi!
I've got both types and used both successfully - no leaks from Cooper's bottles. No difference in flavour, in my opinion.
There's nothing like a line of glass bottles with a coloured cap - they look fine. However, they are a bugger to store when empty and are heavy
The PET bottles don't look as nice, but they can be packed away very neatly, and as they weigh next to nothing can be stored on high shelves.
I'm gradually reducing my glass (although I have an inexhaustible supply from my local club) and moving to PET exclusively.

I use glass bottles but have recently started using at least one plastic bottle per batch as a carb tester to hopefully head off any possible explosions (and headaches that would cause.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pet bottles are more durable and this can be helpful if you bottle up high gravity beers that could still need more time in the FV but due to time complaints you've had to rack earlier. Its a peace of mind during the warm conditioning period.

Latest posts

Back