ag brewers....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A question. ...
For the AG brewers out there who brew with non Grainfather type equipment ie. Boilers,gas,etc...Would you swap to a grainfather type set up if you could?

Cheers

Clint

If I was going straight into AG from kits or smaller scale stove top BIAB then I might....nice technology. But...after kits I decided to go into full sized extract brewing so got a (almost...27lt) full size electric boiler. Then after only a couple extract brews I wanted to move to AG and all I needed as a mash tun (boiler does strike water, sparge water, and also the boil which I do outside) so there was no way I could justify going for a grainfather. Also I quite like the simplicity of my set-up...only the electric elements of the boiler to go wrong. Having said that, I am impressed with the efficiencies people seem to get from the GF. If my boiler bites the dust I might consider one....but might be a challenge to convince SWMBO of the cost/benefits. :nono:

Sorry...should have said,cost doesn't apply. It's whether you would / wouldn't due to purely what a GF type system offers in terms of technology, efficency, ease of use and of course...shiny!

Cheers

Clint

I think I would need/want to have a test run and see just how much difference it makes.

I am very happy with my current biab set up and am glad I saved approximately £450 in going AG... :cool:

Nah. I like making my own kit. There's a lot more pride in making every element yourself for me.

I do understand the appeal but I like the idea of me trying to perfect my technique for the best beer. With a grain father I imagine it's fairly simple to do it ( but have no idea as I've never tried one)

But I do imagine that this is very much like when I was on a my learner motorbike then tried a really high performance bike. As soon as I got back on my learner bike it just wasn't as good.

Maybe ignorance is bliss

Sorry...should have said,cost doesn't apply. It's whether you would / wouldn't due to purely what a GF type system offers in terms of technology, efficency, ease of use and of course...shiny!

Cheers

Clint

If price wasn't a factor then definitely. Much better than the two 8l pots on stove top that I have for BIAB now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if funds were unlimited then, yes I'd try this out for sure.
But, no, I wouldn't swap to it. I'd keep, and compare, my present much more primitive kit.
If the deal was that I had to ditch my home-made, non-recirculating, very simplistic set-up, then I'd say no. I know how it behaves, what to expect every time, and I like the product. Swap it for a shiny, expensive piece of kit that is a pig-in-a-poke? No! :)

I'm going for a no as there looks like a lot of cleaning and I don't think they make a fast brew day.
But as money is no object I might as well get one and play with it when I have time...

Yup, I would in a flash. I'd even choose a GF over the Braumeister, because of the size of the grain basket.

If I had the money I'd sooner spend it on a brew fridge, bigger pots, ingredients etc. Money will always be a factor in the enjoyment for me, I guess.

Coming into brewing, knowing nothing and having plenty of money to spend then definitely; because deep down I am totally lazy!

However, right now and in the very, very unlikely event that SWMBO gave me permission to spend, spend, spend, I probably wouldn't bother changing.

I get immense satisfaction out of making stuff for myself and I have found this Forum a positive inspiration for what can be achieved without spending mega-bucks!

At the moment I use:

o A Mash Tun made out of a Coolbox that cost about £30.

o A Boiler that cost me less than £60 complete with tap.

o A Coil Cooler that cost about £20 (if you don't add on the £20 I spent on the "failed" Coil Cooler). :whistle:

o An Inkbird STC1000 arrangement that cost about �£15 allows me to monitor the various temperatures I need during a brew.

Also, I don't see how a Grainfather would be time-saving for me because everything I do is done "by the clock".

I'm glad you posed the question though! :thumb: :thumb:

I can now relax, be happy with what I've got and not feel jealous of anyone with a Grainfather. :thumb: :thumb:

If money was no object then I would have one, with the sparge water heater and a couple of stainless fv's

I don't know enough about them. Other than they are bloody expensive. For that reason I've never looked into or researched them.there an all in one unit right?
I'd have to play with one first and compare.Do you have one I could borrow ? :smile:

I don't think I would. I am trying to understand everything I can about the brewing process, the ingredients, temp control etc etc and I must confess I like to push the boundaries each time to learn more. These look great for getting constant beer but part of the fun for me is the difference I get and understanding why. I don't really make beer just to drink it which might sound strange. I guess it's like cooking, I love being at the stove with a pan working the food into something that is more than the seperate ingredients and these all in one devices remind me of one of those magic chef machines where you just put your stuff in, go to work and come home to a meal. Not for me although I see the advantages and hence the attraction.

Latest posts

Back