Weired behaviour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken L

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bottled a batch of cider on Sunday that had been fermented out using a wine yeast and as I have some leftover apple juice, I saved some yeast and started off a DJ of experimental apple wine.
2L of AJ, 800g of sugar, 1tsp of malic acid and a 1/4 tsp each of tannin and nutrient to which the yeasties were added and it got topped up to just below the shoulder.
Predictably, with already active yeast, it was going strong within a couple of hours and by the time I was ready for bed, I'd already decided that the DJ would spend the night sat on a tray.
As I'd forgotten to add it at the start, my last job was to open up the DJ and add a 1/4 tsp of pectolase. A quick swirl and it was off bed.
I got up this morning and it was dead flat with no signs of fermentation. Same thing tonight when I got in from work.
Despite knowing that it was a brand new tub of enzyme that I'd broken the seal on last night, I double checked it to be sure that it was in fact pectolase rather than sterilizer and it was.
I'm flummoxed, I have no idea why the brew would stop like that.
On the positive side, I've been home for three hours now and it's just picking up again.

Edit: Sorry about the extra E. Obviously, I meant "weird", but I can't seem to change it now.

Back