18 month old yeast - will it be any good

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
My first post for quite a while, I've been happily brewing away and went from AG back to kits for a while.

Anyway, my brewery has opened its doors again and I got my old Wye Valley yeast out from the back of the fridge and decided to try and rouse it.

It's come back to life slowly and is now producing a reasonable amount of CO2, but will it be any good, or am I better just reculturing it from a HPA?

I reckon It should be fine. A lot of the cells are probably dead so you would want to build it up again.

Theres plenty of anecdotal evidence across forums about yeast risen from the dead. I even read about someone who reckoned they revived 5 year old yeast

It took two days to wake up. I'll do 2-3 step ups.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Mine was fine. I did exactly the same as you - Wye Valley yeast in the fridge for 2 years, I stepped it up 4 times before pitching and it produced a great brew, I had a go at Butty Bach with it.

They generally mutate somewhat from eating themselves but usually no flavour difference. I once left some wlp400 for 2 years and now it's a bottom fermenter. Produces a slightly tarter witbeer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back