Greg Hughes recipes in Braumeister

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimac019

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to be taking the plunge and buying a 20L Braumeister in the summer. I have been brewing a lot of the recipes from Greg Hughes' Home Brew Beer book, though only the malt extract versions and in my 30L Buffalo boiler.

My question is, can I brew the exact AG recipes in this book in a 20L Braumeister, or do they need scaling down at all? I understand some of the higher gravity beers may not be entirely possible, but my main hope is being able to brew the majority of his recipes and ending with a 23L batch. For example, his Amarillo one-hop pale.

Many thanks!

You'll need to scale down. You might find it helpful to buy a couple of Braumeister specific kits from Brew UK to get an idea on quantities and then go from there.
Also take a look on the Braumeister forum and search "Fast Beer" by Mashy.
I'm sure you'll love the BM.

Brian

What you could do is to get beersmith or similar and use one of the BM profiles people have made. Then input the original recipe and tweak until the OG is where it should be.

I've had to do some messing around to get the gravity where I want but I can get it bang on now and still make some pretty strong beers. You can vary the amount of water you use if the 6kg grain doesn't get you enough oomph.

I suspect that once you've got your BM 'dialed in' you can just use some brewing software to scale receipes. I mostly make 5L stove top brews at the moment and simply use brewmate to scale GH recipes down to 5L

Latest posts

Back