Martin's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently moved to Norwich, and only just got my feet underneath me - this is my first brew in several months.

It is by way of an experiment, for two reasons:
1. I've got a burco boiler (�£20 Gumtree) rather than using stove top pans. Plan to use the burco as a hlt and to boil wort.

2. I have drilled out (2mm) an FV to act as a grain basket, rather than use a bag for the mash. The hope is that this will enable a more controlled lauter and sparge.

The recipe is a clone of St Peter's IPA. It's a Norwich Brew Club challenge, in advance of a visit to St Peter's brewery and a taste off, judged by their brewer (I think).

Recipe:
the recipe for 23L is

OG 1.054 ABV 5.5%

5kg Pale malt (they use Propino - I've only got MO)
Mash for 70 minutes.
Boil for 75 minutes.
37g of First Gold at the start of the boil, 26g at flame out, leave for 15 minutes then cool.
Ferment at 18c

The brewery did provide some of their own yeast to club members, but I missed that, so it's S05..

Will keep updated....

Recently moved to Norwich, and only just got my feet underneath me - this is my first brew in several months.

It is by way of an experiment, for two reasons:
1. I've got a burco boiler (��£20 Gumtree) rather than using stove top pans. Plan to use the burco as a hlt and to boil wort.

2. I have drilled out (2mm) an FV to act as a grain basket, rather than use a bag for the mash. The hope is that this will enable a more controlled lauter and sparge.

The recipe is a clone of St Peter's IPA. It's a Norwich Brew Club challenge, in advance of a visit to St Peter's brewery and a taste off, judged by their brewer (I think).

Recipe:
the recipe for 23L is

OG 1.054 ABV 5.5%

5kg Pale malt (they use Propino - I've only got MO)
Mash for 70 minutes.
Boil for 75 minutes.
37g of First Gold at the start of the boil, 26g at flame out, leave for 15 minutes then cool.
Ferment at 18c

The brewery did provide some of their own yeast to club members, but I missed that, so it's S05..

Will keep updated....

Sounds nice and pretty easy simple practically a SMASH brew

Should be nice either way but maybe you missed a trick with the yeast.. Will be interesting to see what difference you think it makes.. you may prefer your own.

Okay, just cleaned up.

Mash went well, and far more straightforward having a grain basket Vs bag.

When I came to lauter and sparge the flow through the grain was so slow I had to assist. Wonder if the holes need boring out to 3 mm in the basket (2mm at present)

Used the burco to​ boil the wort. This was ok, but the thermostat clicked off for 2 mins n every 10....not sure how much of a problem this is...it was all still north of 100.

Ended up doing no chill, will pitch tomorrow.

Learning points:

1. Disconnect thermostat in burco
2. Drill out grain basket to 3mm.

Overall easier than 4 pans on the stove.

Cheers

Martin

Sounds nice and pretty easy simple practically a SMASH brew

Should be nice either way but maybe you missed a trick with the yeast.. Will be interesting to see what difference you think it makes.. you may prefer your own.

Agreed about the yeast, the missus was away at the last minute and I couldn't make the meeting!

Okay, just cleaned up.

Mash went well, and far more straightforward having a grain basket Vs bag.

When I came to lauter and sparge the flow through the grain was so slow I had to assist. Wonder if the holes need boring out to 3 mm in the basket (2mm at present)

Used the burco to​ boil the wort. This was ok, but the thermostat clicked off for 2 mins n every 10....not sure how much of a problem this is...it was all still north of 100.

Ended up doing no chill, will pitch tomorrow.

Learning points:

1. Disconnect thermostat in burco
2. Drill out grain basket to 3mm.

Overall easier than 4 pans on the stove.

Cheers

Martin

Just an idea mate, but why not get some fine mesh for the bottom of the bucket? Maybe cut a larger hole and layer over it with a mesh like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111921789676

That could work?

Just got back from a top evening at St Peters Brewery with Norwich Brew Club.

Great tour, lots of lovely beers. Head brewer Steve helped judge our efforts at St Peters IPA. Great welcome from club member at St Peters guide Robin.

Mine effort at St Peters IPA was pretty poor, but it didn't matter - I think 10 of us had tried it out.

If you are in the Norfolk area and brew, please do consider joining.

Cheers

Martin

Squeezed in a cheeky brew today based on what I had in - an IPA based on Aurora for bittering and Wolf for aroma.

Sort of made it up as I went along:

5kg MO
0.25kg crystal

1 hour mash at 65

1 hour boil:

35g Aurora 60 mins
10g Wolf 15 mins
15g Wolf 5 mins
10g Wolf at FO

Will dry hop with the balance of 15g Aurora and 15g Wolf after 5 days.

Safale 05 is what I had in, so that's what it got!

Let's see...

Quick question:

FV timings when summer brewing.

I normally allow 2 weeks in the FV, dry hopping after 5 days.

This brew has gone off like a rocket and looks like it will have stopped fermenting by day 4. Any comments around scaling back the time in the FV, or would that be ill advisde.

Thanks

Martin

Quick question:

This brew has gone off like a rocket and looks like it will have stopped fermenting by day 4. Any comments around scaling back the time in the FV, or would that be ill advisde.

Thanks

Martin

I would still leave it for 2 weeks in primary even in warmer temps - the real business of fermentation is normally done in around 3-4 days (once the yeast gets going) so you've probably only shaved a day or so off that with the warmer temps. The remainder of the 2 weeks is to allow the yeast to clean up after itself.

Its worth doing something about controlling your brewing temps - my second hand fridge off ebay fitted with a greenhouse tube heater controlled by an inkbird controller is the best single best investment I've made to improve my brewing. Allows me to set the brewfridge temp to any temp I want and leave it to look after itself. Great for brewing lagers, crash cooling, or just knowing your ale is fermenting at 18°C whether its -2°C or 27°C outside !

I would still leave it for 2 weeks in primary even in warmer temps - the real business of fermentation is normally done in around 3-4 days (once the yeast gets going) so you've probably only shaved a day or so off that with the warmer temps. The remainder of the 2 weeks is to allow the yeast to clean up after itself.

Its worth doing something about controlling your brewing temps - my second hand fridge off ebay fitted with a greenhouse tube heater controlled by an inkbird controller is the best single best investment I've made to improve my brewing. Allows me to set the brewfridge temp to any temp I want and leave it to look after itself. Great for brewing lagers, crash cooling, or just knowing your ale is fermenting at 18°C whether its -2°C or 27°C outside !

Same re brewfridge - best thing I’ve ever done on the home brew front !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question:

Thanks

Martin

As Spapro says, leave it 14 days. The initial CO2 outflow is really only part of the fermentation process and in some ways, the faster this first part is done, the more important it is to leave the wort on the yeast for two weeks. You want the yeast there to convert the by-products of a too-rapid (too warm) fermentation and this will take at least 14 days.

Hi folks - advice needed!

Beer of the Quarter (botq) at Norwich brew club is to be an oatmeal stout 'with a twist'. I would like my twist to be a bit of smoked malt.

The standard recipe is as follows below.

The question is how much smoked malt to add. I've got 500g of Weyemann Beech Smoked (EBC 4.0) - I know everyone says a little goes a long way! Also, recommendations for hop alternatives to pimp it up a bit would be welcome.

Thanks

Martin

NBC Oatmeal Stout
Oatmeal Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.190
Total Hops (g): 70.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 33.5 (EBC): 66.0
Bitterness (IBU): 30.2 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.800 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (73.22%)
0.500 kg Rolled Oats (9.63%)
0.450 kg United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (8.67%)
0.220 kg United Kingdom - Chocolate (4.24%)
0.220 kg United Kingdom - Roasted Barley (4.24%)

Hop Bill
----------------
70.0 g Fuggles Leaf (4.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04

Go easy on that stuff. I managed to ruin a lot of beer using smoked malts. However little i used the beer was still undrinkable. You might consider steeping some seperataly and fermenting 5l of the main batch to see if you like it. Also i dont think hoppiness and rauchmalz mix but thats just my opinion.

Go easy on that stuff. I managed to ruin a lot of beer using smoked malts. However little i used the beer was still undrinkable. You might consider steeping some seperataly and fermenting 5l of the main batch to see if you like it. Also i dont think hoppiness and rauchmalz mix but thats just my opinion.

I'd agree that it is either smoke or hops. Might just stick to the fuggles as written.

The inspiration for giving it a go is both a club member brewing. a good smoked ale ( thanks jonny), and a trip to the western isles and drinking the phenolic whiskies.

Just really want enough to give a hint of smoke...

Thanks

Martin

Hi folks - advice needed!

Beer of the Quarter (botq) at Norwich brew club is to be an oatmeal stout 'with a twist'. I would like my twist to be a bit of smoked malt.

The standard recipe is as follows below.

The question is how much smoked malt to add. I've got 500g of Weyemann Beech Smoked (EBC 4.0) - I know everyone says a little goes a long way! Also, recommendations for hop alternatives to pimp it up a bit would be welcome.

Thanks

Martin

NBC Oatmeal Stout
Oatmeal Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.190
Total Hops (g): 70.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 33.5 (EBC): 66.0
Bitterness (IBU): 30.2 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.800 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (73.22%)

Hop Bill
----------------
70.0 g Fuggles Leaf (4.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Hoping to get along to this month's meeting but planned ahead & kicked off my BOTQ Oatmeal Stout on Wednesday. Just racked off a gallon onto some honey in a demijohn for my "twist". Looking forward to seeing what other ideas people have.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OK, I brewed the oatmeal stout earlier this week....well I say it was an oatmeal stout...but I suspect that it is really the ******* son of an oatmeal stout and the Greg Hughes Smoked Porter.

My inspiration (yeah, I am that pretentious!) was a recent trip to the western isles - berries, oats, smoke.

3.200 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (73.22%)
0.500 kg Weyerman beech smoked

Mash 65C 1 hour. 1 hour boil.

Challenger 40g start of boil
Williamette 20g last 10 minutes
Williametter 20g flame out

US04

Efficiency was ****, but I ended up with 18Lt at 1052.

We'll see....

Cheers

Martin

SWMBO is on a conference and took a 6.30am train, so this means I can get an early start!

Hurray! It's brew day! Greg Hughes Ruby Mild.

The reason behind this is I recently tasted a stronger mild in The Murderers in Norwich and it really impressed me - I'm used to a weaker mild <4% - I'm hoping for a full, rich satisfying autumn beer.

Cleaned everything last night and drew / treated water. Boiler on heating mash water whilst I ran her to the station.

Mash on at 66C at 7am.

I'm vainly hoping to be done by 10.30am! Let's see.

God, I love days like this..

Martin

Latest posts

Back